Hops Question???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolboxdiver

Reaction score
I am getting ready to place an order for 2 test projects brews I want to try.
One is the Cream of 3 crops that uses
Williamette and Crystal hops
The Other is a Honey Rye Ale that Uses
Magnum and Tettnang hops
Both recipies call for a 1/4 to 1/2 oz of each
My question is. What 2 hops could I use for both since I have to buy both by the oz.
That way I can use all the 2 hops brewing rather than 1/2 of 4 different hops.

A few thoughts...

If you plan to use all the hops you'll purchase, it seems like choosing Magnum as one of them would give you more bitterness than the recipes intended (and vice versa).

Are any of those remaining about equal in alpha acids? If so you could just pick one or the other. Clearly that's not the only consideration, but something to think about.

I see one source that says Willamette and Tett can reasonably substitute for each other.

I'm also thinking that most of these hops must be for the Rye Ale, right? So maybe just go with the two hops that are latest additions in that brew?

Someone with more nuanced knowledge than I possess will probably ask you to post the recipes, so you may just want to go ahead and do that now. :)

A few thoughts...

If you plan to use all the hops you'll purchase, it seems like choosing Magnum as one of them would give you more bitterness than the recipes intended (and vice versa).

Are any of those remaining about equal in alpha acids? If so you could just pick one or the other. Clearly that's not the only consideration, but something to think about.

I see one source that says Willamette and Tett can reasonably substitute for each other.

I'm also thinking that most of these hops must be for the Rye Ale, right? So maybe just go with the two hops that are latest additions in that brew?

Someone with more nuanced knowledge than I possess will probably ask you to post the recipes, so you may just want to go ahead and do that now. :)

Thanks, I will just Vacuum Seal and Freeze the Leftover Hops. Hopefully I like Both and will Brew 5 or 10 gal batches in the Future. I did work out the rest.

Thanks, I will just Vacuum Seal and Freeze the Leftover Hops. Hopefully I like Both and will Brew 5 or 10 gal batches in the Future. I did work out the rest.

Perfect.

Honestly, my initial reaction was to suggest you just buy all the hops and save the extra, but I resisted because that's how many respond here sometimes. I'm sure it's in good faith, and it's understandable, but not necessarily helpful. For example, many answer any question about bottling with "you should just keg."

Perfect.

Honestly, my initial reaction was to suggest you just buy all the hops and save the extra, but I resisted because that's how many respond here sometimes. I'm sure it's in good faith, and it's understandable, but not necessarily helpful. For example, many answer any question about bottling with "you should just keg."
I don't bottle any beer I make. I Keg Everything. But thanks

Magnum and crystal!

Magnum is a perfect bittering hop for all styles (I buy it by the pound), and crystal hops are a great sub for Tettnanger and other noble hops.

Crystal hops are very nice in light beers, and I would use that for the finishing hops in both.

Willamette vs. Crystal is a matter of personal preference, I guess, but Magnum makes a whole lot of sense for bittering for the reasons @Yooper said. Plus it's usually cheap!

I am getting ready to place an order for 2 test projects brews I want to try.
One is the Cream of 3 crops that uses
Williamette and Crystal hops
The Other is a Honey Rye Ale that Uses
Magnum and Tettnang hops
Both recipies call for a 1/4 to 1/2 oz of each
My question is. What 2 hops could I use for both since I have to buy both by the oz.
That way I can use all the 2 hops brewing rather than 1/2 of 4 different hops.
I'd definitely use the magnum as a bittering hop. Its the primary bittering hop that I use. I've used the other 3 and havent find much difference between them. I'd probably just use whatever is the cheapest. If I had to choose without factoring cost I'd likely go with Crystal.

Back