Hops question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgoehner

Reaction score
I have a friend who has a decent size row of hops plants that the previous owners of their house planted. What is the best way to find out what kind of hops they are? Oh, and when is the best time to harvest?

Well...that's a tough one. Can you get a picture and post it here? Just take a close up of the fully formed cone and a few leaves. While you can distinguish some hops from others, it's very hard to narrow it down to one specific strain. I can try to get close though.

As for harvest time... Squeeze a few cones between your fingers. If they feel papery and springy, then pick one and rip it open length ways down the spine of the hop. It should have a ton of yellow lupalin inside and smell very "hoppy". If they meet all of that criteria, they're most likely ready to harvest. I usually wait until a few start turning brown, then I'll harvest the entire crop. While some may be "under-cooked"...most of them will be ready. Just don't use the brown ones.

I asked that of freshops a while ago. If memory serves me correctly They said like suthrncomfort it can be tough to tell. They said if I sent them some develeoped cones they would look at them. I never sent them anything but all of my experiences with them have been great so far. I'd imagine they would try to help if you contacted them.
Different hops mature at different times but like posted above when some start to look a little brown most likely a good bit of them will be smelling delicious and be sticky with lupalin also like suthrncomfort had said. In my case some further up the vines were ready while some lower on the vines were smaller and not quite ready yet. They were maturing at different times which is nice incase you can't get to harvesting they don't all get brown at once. I recommend getting some good garden snips. I used to use scissors but the snips really helped this year. Good Luck, VW
e37d9ab3.jpg

Thanks guys, I will try to get over there and take a picture. I am going to do a search on drying and such, but if you could point me to a good thread or the right direction I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Back