Hops on a hill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topsecret

Reaction score
Morning,

I'm laying out a build for a small hop farm in northern Minnesota. The sunlight, soil, and weather seem to be great for hops during the growing season, BUT, I'm looking at building this along a fairly steep hill (call it 45 degrees). Maybe two rows at different elevations in a straight line across the slope.

I'm wondering - will this help due to rain moving through the plants more often towards our lake, or would it not be advisable? The hops will be receiving direct sunlight from sunrise to about 4PM, otherwise I'd look at another area of our property.

Thanks.

In general, a hill is good for drainage of both water and the morning dew. Hops don't like "wet feet". Likewise, have rows aligned to have the morning dew blown away as quickly as possible to reduce mold/mildew.

That said, before you do this build a mobile tower. Whether its in the back of a pickup truck, on a wagon or its just a ladder...build it and take it out to your potential field site. make sure you can reach up to 16' or whatever you height will be and then have someone drag you around the hill.

Heck, just start with a ladder. Place it on the hill and start climbing. About halfway up you will realize that a steep hill leads to people falling. (Yeah, know this from experience...not personal, I just picked the guy up and transported him to the hospital.)

Hop yards can be built on steep hills. Last year, I set up 4 x 40' rows on the only land I had available - a steep 25-30 degree slope with good sun.

The hops are thriving, but it is a lot of extra work. With the incline, it is nearly impossible to get equipment to the location. Hauling compost to the area is also a real issue.

But, the biggest issue is what Dan already mentioned. My cables are only 17' high, but getting up to them has been a real issue. Most ladders are not made for steep hills and I have fallen more than once.

Back