Hops in Recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jgrn17

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Still learning the ropes of brewing.
I have noticed that a lot of recipes do not specify whether the hops used were Whole or Pellet. Just wondering if there is a 'rule' out there for this, where it is assumed the brewer will automatically know use one or the other? Is there a way to figure out where the recipe creator used whole or pellet hops? Any assistance is greatly appreciated!!

Hey everyone,

I have noticed that a lot of recipes do not specify whether the hops used were Whole or Pellet. Just wondering if there is a 'rule' out there for this, where it is assumed the brewer will automatically know use one or the other? Is there a way to figure out where the recipe creator used whole or pellet hops? Any assistance is greatly appreciated!!

Use what you have/can find/feel comfortable using. I would say majority of homebrewers are using pellets unless specified.

Hey everyone,

I would say most recipes are talking about pellets. A recipe using whole cone will specifically call for whole cone. You need to use more whole cone to equal the weight of t90 pellets so their is certainly a difference

I would say most recipes are talking about pellets. A recipe using whole cone will specifically call for whole cone. You need to use more whole cone to equal the weight of t90 pellets so their is certainly a difference
Thanks for clarifying that!

Back