Hops in primary - need to rack?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoppin_Mad

Reaction score
I just finished making a batch of old speckled hen clone ( used recipe from on here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/old-speckled-hen-20313/ )

I was able to strain out most of the hops when moving the wort to the fermentor, but alot of them still made it through.

I was planning on leaving this brew in the primary for 3 or 4 weeks and then going straight to bottling. Should I now consider racking to a secondary after fermentation is complete? What would the consequences be of leaving this beer in the primary with a fair amount of hops?

edit : there appears to be about a 1/2 inch - inch of hop in the bottom, and I used whirfloc.

thanks!

I personally just always leave in primary, even when dry hopping. I like to use a hop bag when I boil as it will keep a lot of the sediment out of your wort. Then when I dry hop I just drop an oz or two of hop pellets in my carboy. Then use a racking cane with a tip on it and keep it just above the trub so it doesn't suck any up.

A lot less steps and always makes a great beer.

Gldnst8warrior said:
I personally just always leave in primary, even when dry hopping. I like to use a hop bag when I boil as it will keep a lot of the sediment out of your wort. Then when I dry hop I just drop an oz or two of hop pellets in my carboy. Then use a racking cane with a tip on it and keep it just above the trub so it doesn't suck any up.

A lot less steps and always makes a great beer.

No kidding? Is this a common practice, because I'm dry hopping for my first time next week and if I can just drop in the primary, then the better.

No bag right, straight hops?

No kidding? Is this a common practice, because I'm dry hopping for my first time next week and if I can just drop in the primary, then the better.

No bag right, straight hops?

FWIW that's usually how I do it as well. I usually rig a bit of a filter on the tip of my racking cane and get virtually no hops in my bottling bucket.

Back