Hops Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkiNuke

Reaction score
I'd like to make a good hoppy APA. I brewed one (see below), but I didn't like how it came out. Too bitter and not quite the flavor profile I was shooting for. I have avout 4 lbs of hops and would like some help with hop combos to try. I was thinking maybe Goldings/Cascade or Cascade/Northdown. Any suggestions?

Hops:
Cascade
Glacier
Mt. Hood
Goldings
Bramling Cross
Challenger
Northdown
Topaz
Super Pride

Recipe:
US 2row 8lbs (70%)
Munich II 3 lbs (25%)
Crystal 60 0.5lbs (5%)

Northdown 1 oz 60min
Cascade/topaz .5/.5 10min
Cascade/topaz .5/.5 0min
Cascade/topaz .5/.5 5day dry hop

WLP002

OG: 1.058
IBU: 40

Thanks.

Is this 5gallons? If so, I think you need a lot more hops. I mean a lot

I would use cascade and topaz out of those choices. Use glacier or something for bittering. Load it up with late additions and be sure to do a flameout hopstand/steep to get the most out of your flameout hops. I would suggest 4oz or more to get a nice pungent hop character without getting into bitter IPA territory

i like this one:

10-12# 2 row
1# Crystal 60
2oz centennial @60
2oz cascade @ 45
2oz mosaic @ 15
2oz cascade at flame out

dry hop with mosaic or cascade 1-2oz, this should come in around 1.065-1.070 finish around 1.015, pitch US-05 7-7.3ABV

thought?

It's not necessary to hopstand/hopburst/whirlpool every beer. Sure...it'll give you real hop punch, but it's not needed if you just want some hop presence.

Your hop additions are pretty low for a hoppy pale ale - there's no question. You can make 10-minute and flameout additions of an ounce or so, along with maybe a 2 oz dry hop, to get decent hoppiness in a pale ale. You can also hopstand/hopburst/whirlpool if you want - no harm done - but don't feel that it's a must!

i like this one:

10-12# 2 row
1# Crystal 60
2oz centennial @60
2oz cascade @ 45
2oz mosaic @ 15
2oz cascade at flame out

dry hop with mosaic or cascade 1-2oz, this should come in around 1.065-1.070 finish around 1.015, pitch US-05 7-7.3ABV

thought?

For a 5 gal batch, that'll give over 100IBU's! It's meant to be an APA, not IIPA.

I completely disagree with the comments that 4oz of hops in 5gal is not enough for a hoppy pale ale. IMO, it's about the right amount (it's not an IPA). Cascade on it's own would give a good APA, but none of the other hops stand out to me (I haven't used Topaz or Glacier). Golding with Cascade could be interesting.

My preference would be to use the hops listed since that's what I have in stock. But I've been toying with the idea of getting some more American style hops (hopefully SWMBO doesn't notice my stock pile increasing).

Does anyone have experience mixing brittish hops and Cascade for an American style punch? I've seen some people do fuggles with cascade maybe swap out the topaz with glacier (looks like its similar to fuggles)?

I think Willamette and topaz are great together, so I think your goldings should also pair well with the topaz.

I'm leaning more towards subbing out the topaz than the Cascade. Maybe:

Northdown 1 oz 60min
Cascade/glacier .5/.5 10min
Cascade/glacier .5/.5 0min
Cascade/glacier .5/.5 5day dry hop

This would drop the ibus to 35.
Should I bump up the amounts at all? Or try adding more of one type at a given time?

APAs typically use American hops. Cascade would be more typical for an APA than the English Northdown (and others mentioned). That said, the difference between an APA and an IPA is a little blurry, an IPA being typically a little hoppier than an APA, but not really hop-specific. I agree with gnomebrewer that 4 oz. of a medium AA hop is sufficient for a typical APA.

The Northdown is purely for bittering. I shouldn't get any flavor out of that. But it sounds like this type of schedule is pretty typical of an APA, so I'm going to see if reducing the ibus and keeping the late additions similar in quantity helps the flavor. Next step might be looking at my yeast. I figured wlp002 would be good since some great microbrews use that for their APA's, but I was reading that wlp002 can mute hop flavor compared to wlp001.

part of it could be your grain bill you dont like too.
so maybe cut the munich out, sub in some Maris otter or vienna or wheat or all 2-row and crystal.

none of those hops look appealing to me for a hoppy american pale ale other than cascade. Id go all cascade. 4-5 oz or more. maybe bitter with whatever is clean. otherwise buy an oz or 2 of any of the popular C hops, amarillo, galaxy, etc.

Latest posts

Back