Hops hangers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingnutj

Reaction score
Just wondering since I tried a search here. (came up blank and went crazy on me)

Was wondering how you have set up your hops to grow? Arbors and such.
Looking for something cheap (easy is welcome, but a great design is better)

Show us how your hops grow!

Please & thank you

I got some cable (the stranded metal kind that goes from pole to pole) from work. I used my climbing tree stand and a come-along to string it between 2 pine trees. I then got some screw-in anchors from a mobile home supply store and dropped some sisal rope from the cable to the anchors. Now I just gotta wait for em to grow!

Mine, from all scrounged material save a couple bits of hardware.

IMG_3112.JPG

IMG_3225.JPG

I grew mine in a big pot with an electrical conduit pipe coming out the center. Ran into some issues with wind. This year I'm attaching a tall pole to my fence and using that as the trellis.

I just built a planting box with scrap 6x6's left over from my garage build. Then I bought a 16' 4x4 and stuck it in the ground right next to it. Then I ran cord up from each of the three plants to the top of the post. Simple and hopefully effective.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm thinking of doing a pvc pole to about 20' high. the neighbors are going to think I'm nuts. I live in the city and last year my hops really took off and grew into my neighbors yard/tree. Pissed me off. (of course thats were most of the product showed up and I wanted to chop the tree down to get my goods)
Thanks again guys for the inspiration!

The wife wound 9 21" diameter buckets with rope handles at the local walmart, these beasts hold 20 gallons. I'm fillin' 'em with potting soil, with some mulch on top, and lining them all up along the fence, and putting a long 2x4 (with 9 eye-hooks screwed in) up on the south side of the house, will run my rope from the planter to the eye hooks, then down the side of the wall and tie them off. When the hops crawl up the line to the roof, and mature, I'll simply untie the string and play out some slack to bring the hops down to ground level, harvest, and then bring the plant back up and tie the string off, until all the harvesting is done.

I hate hights (more accurately, I'm scared of falling). The south side of my home gets sun almost all day long, so the vines should be happy as punch.

Latest posts

Back