Hops growing in Colorado??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeepnbrew

Reaction score
Anyone doing this here? I wonder how long I need and if I plant soon, like June 25th if I will have enough time to get a full season...

I'm not personally- too transient for a long term crop like that. But I know there are lots of people around here who do. There's a big organic hop provider in Paonia- I think New Belgium used them for their Mothership Wit. So yes, it's possible. But you're too late for this year, I think.

My first year hops seem to be doing pretty well, but I don't think that I would have a chance if I were to plant them now. Don't be discouraged, though. If you start them now you should have a good start on the root system so that you can maybe get a good harvest next year.

Thanks guys.. Any place local to buy some starters?

We should have a colorado homebrew beer swap!!

Until then, if you're in need of some flavor/aroma hops, they're growing wild up and down Cherry Creek and there was a bunch next to the Bull & Bush Boil House.

Original question-- If you were to get some rhizomes and plant them you would get some tiny bines probably no cones before frost in CO. But next year with good care you could get some cones!

San Juan Hops Farm (www.sanjuanhopfarms.com) does not sell rhizomes-- our nursery stock goes right back into our acres. We will be selling some hops soon though. September? depending on the sun, the rain, and the winds

Come Spring I could get you some of testing garden hops.
Andrea

you *could* plant them this year and not do them any harm, but I doubt you would see any cones from starting this late. It would give you a head start for next year though.

From my limited experience with growing them it seems that year 1 growth is limited and not too exciting, but subsequent years they start to explode all over the place if you don't keep them under control.

you *could* plant them this year and not do them any harm, but I doubt you would see any cones from starting this late. It would give you a head start for next year though.

From my limited experience with growing them it seems that year 1 growth is limited and not too exciting, but subsequent years they start to explode all over the place if you don't keep them under control.

Ah gentlemen-- it's not always about the cones (umbels). What you want is the rhizome development. This rhizome activity determines the size and amount of your cones. Think underground. What you don't see is the roots sinking in and being fed by sunshine and your soil. Get these right and you will have cones, maybe not on the first date though.

My first year hops are going wild! I actually have cones forming! I lost a few vines due to cows but I should be fine by next year. I will post some pics tomarrow morning.

Original question-- If you were to get some rhizomes and plant them you would get some tiny bines probably no cones before frost in CO. But next year with good care you could get some cones!

San Juan Hops Farm (www.sanjuanhopfarms.com) does not sell rhizomes-- our nursery stock goes right back into our acres. We will be selling some hops soon though. September? depending on the sun, the rain, and the winds

Come Spring I could get you some of testing garden hops.
Andrea

awesome...

Until then, if you're in need of some flavor/aroma hops, they're growing wild up and down Cherry Creek and there was a bunch next to the Bull & Bush Boil House.

I have found other wild hops growing and want to harvest and use them. Any recipe or style suggestions?

Freshly Harvested tonight!

5760_1150685899824_1607918399_1648955_2973771_n.jpg

:rockin:

Back