Hops gone.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sadu

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My first all grain batch is nearly ready for bottling and I have to say the hoppiness is not what I expected at all.

The brew was a 6 gallon NZ Pale Ale, basically an APA but with NZ Cascade 7.1% and NZ pale malt. We put in a half ounce at the start of the boil(60 mins), another half ounce at 30 mins and an ounce at 15 mins. OG came out at 1.054 and it was a text book first brew. US-05 dry yeast.

Came into the room the next morning and the hop aroma was everywhere. It smelled amazing. Now the brew is down to FG and had some clearing up time in secondary, the aroma is basically gone. Taste is good, but not bitter or hoppy at all. If I take the lid off and waft the smell at my face there's nothing. Its like all the aroma got used up making my office smell nice for a day.

I dry hopped the last half ounce that I had just now to try and reclaim some aroma. The brew is still going to taste good, but possibly less on style than I hoped and my confidence is knocked for next time.

Over here in NZ hops come in 100g packs, 4oz, and I don't really want to be buying more than one pack per batch unless it's an IPA or something special.

Cooling took 45 mins, I have since got it down to 30. I'm wondering if the slowish cool combined with the aroma hops going in at 15 mins might be a bit early? Or is it normal to be using more than 4oz of hops on this kind of brew.

FWIW beersmith also says the brew is at the low end for IBU. The recipe I followed didn't say anything about hop AAs and I didn't know what that was back then anyway, I guess the cascade I bought was weaker than theirs.

I would have moved those additions to 15min and 0min, but 1/2 oz isn't a ton for a hoppy pale ale either. You may find that it comes back with the cold and carbonation though. The bubbles do a lot to push out aromas, and sometimes beer just tastes meh at bottling.

It's true, I wouldn't normally drink flat beer at 65f (I think only the English drink beer like that). It's entirely possible that it tastes amazing once cold and carbonated.

This was never designed to be super hoppy, I'm just surprised that the aroma is gone completely. Especially since it smelled soooooo good that first day after brewing.

The main issue for me is cost, In New Zealand hops are about $10 ($6.50 usd) per 100g / 4oz pack and I haven't found anyone selling them by the kilo/pound in such a way that would save money. If I'm needing to use 2-3 packs of hops per brew that is more than the malts and yeast combined. It may well be that my expectations are out of line, in which case There are plenty of great styles that don't rely on hops to taste amazing.

6.50? Holy crap! I can get NZ hops in Eastern U.S. for less than that!

But anyways, I think you will be pleasantly surprised in a few weeks. The yeast pushing all that air up through the airlock does tend to make it smell like heaven though...

6.50? Holy crap! I can get NZ hops in Eastern U.S. for less than that!

But anyways, I think you will be pleasantly surprised in a few weeks. The yeast pushing all that air up through the airlock does tend to make it smell like heaven though...

Where can you find NZ hops retailing for less than $1.60/oz? Even YVH would be challenged to beat those prices.

Where can you find NZ hops retailing for less than $1.60/oz? Even YVH would be challenged to beat those prices.

Depends on the hop, but I can get some AUS/NZ varieties for 1-1.50/oz from my LHBS. It depends what he can get in large quantities. It might help that he is running a nano brewery and it buying mini-bales and piecing out what he doesn't use.

I get some stuff a little higher though, like Galaxy and the other super alpha stuff. I'm just amazed that the prices aren't much cheaper when you're over 9000 miles closer to the hopyard.

Your hops are cheaper than I am getting mine here in the US...

I brewed an APA earlier this year, and I used 8 ounces in it. 5 ounces in the brew kettle, and 3 more for a dry hop. Hoppiness stuck with the beer well.

You may need to double what you are currently doing?

Any aroma that came off the beer and filled your office is certainly lost, never to return to your beer...

next time put in your 60 min hops at the same time but save the rest of your hops for either 5 minutes or 0 minutes and add them at flameout. My rule of thumb is to use an oz of dry hops for every gallon of beer but lately I've been just using 2-3oz for 5 gallons due to budget restraints. You're going to either have to brew smaller batches or use more hops to get where you want to be with the big hop nose and flavor.
The others are right though that it should be a little hoppier once it's carbonated and the bubbles start pulling out the hop flavor and aroma.

I quality checked one of these last night after 1 week in the bottle. Yummmmmm. My first all grain beer and it totally lived up to expectations.

Its definitely sweeter rather than bitter. Hop flavour is excellent. Aroma is subdued, though the small dry hopping seems to have helped. No weird aftertastes or flavours.

Pretty excited overall. If this is going to be the quality of beer that I'm drinking from now on then I should have started brewing years ago.

Back