Hops for IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iberwolf

Reaction score
Hello everybody, I'm trying to make an IPA and would like to get feedback to achieve that kind of hops that will use.
Right now I have two hops in mind to use it are:
- Cascade
- Chinook
I would add one or two hops for beer, to be able to give more hoppy flavor and a citrus and floral aroma.

Columbus or even Calypso (I like Calypso, a lot) would work here. Calypso is more stone fruit (pear, apple) than anything but it has a nice floral and subtle citrus bite to it.

Columbus or even Calypso (I like Calypso, a lot) would work here. Calypso is more stone fruit (pear, apple) than anything but it has a nice floral and subtle citrus bite to it.
Calypso, I never used the hops and also never caught my attention, but eh'll get better informed about the hops! Thanks for the help now.

I've had great success with a Chinook/Cascade/Centennial IPA. Can never go wrong with Centennial in any hoopy beer.

How many hops you usually use? I was considering using 4 hops and make them mix.

So many great hops for IPAs. Some others to consider are Citra, Mosaic, Galaxy, Nelson Sauvin, Simcoe, Nugget, Apollo, CTZ, Warrior, Summit... the list is endless. Which to use all depends on what bitterness, flavors and aromas you are going after.

How many hops you usually use? I was considering using 4 hops and make them mix.

I do 3 gallon batches but scaling it up to 5 my hops schedule would be:

60m - 0.5 oz Chinook
5m - 0.5 oz Chinook
5m - 0.5 oz Cascade
5m - 0.5 oz Centennial
30 min hop stand starting at 180 - 1 oz of each
Dry hop 5 days - 1 oz of each

So 8 oz total. I don't bother trying to estimate hop stand IBUs but this produces a fairly high bitterness so if you're not into that you could back off the 60 min addition a little bit. You'll get great aroma and flavor this way, pretty balanced between floral, citrus, and pine.

If I were to add a 4th hop I might try something fruity/cirtusy as there's already a pretty strong floral and pine presence, and those are easier to overdo than citrus/fruit imo.

And if I chose to Chinook, Centennial, Cascade, Nugget (hopstand) and CITRA (hopstand).
What do you think?
I think so would get a great aroma, flavor and a good palate?
How can I leave the pleasant IPA?

I quite like this hop, but only used it once because it is rare to find that hops where I live!

So many great hops for IPAs. Some others to consider are Citra, Mosaic, Galaxy, Nelson Sauvin, Simcoe, Nugget, Apollo, CTZ, Warrior, Summit... the list is endless. Which to use all depends on what bitterness, flavors and aromas you are going after.

And if I chose to Chinook, Centennial, Cascade, Nugget (hopstand) and CITRA (hopstand).
What do you think?
I think so would get a great aroma, flavor and a good palate?
How can I leave the pleasant IPA?

I do 3 gallon batches but scaling it up to 5 my hops schedule would be:

60m - 0.5 oz Chinook
5m - 0.5 oz Chinook
5m - 0.5 oz Cascade
5m - 0.5 oz Centennial
30 min hop stand starting at 180 - 1 oz of each
Dry hop 5 days - 1 oz of each

So 8 oz total. I don't bother trying to estimate hop stand IBUs but this produces a fairly high bitterness so if you're not into that you could back off the 60 min addition a little bit. You'll get great aroma and flavor this way, pretty balanced between floral, citrus, and pine.

If I were to add a 4th hop I might try something fruity/cirtusy as there's already a pretty strong floral and pine presence, and those are easier to overdo than citrus/fruit imo.
What do you think of using Nugget, Chinook, Cascade, Centennial and Citra?

Centennial goes well with Cascade and Chinook. Its what stone use in their IPA.

Summit will go well as will Columbus.

I did an IPA with Calypso, Citra, and El Dorado. It was very tropical and fruity with some nice bitterness as well. My next IPA is going to be one that has your three C (Cascade, Chinook, Columbus) hops plus Calypso. I'm all about mixing new hops with old ones.

cascade, citra and chinook are all great. I make a chinook IPA with only chinook hops, delicious

cascade, citra and chinook are all great. I make a chinook IPA with only chinook hops, delicious

I'm new to do IPA, but I'm undecided about hops using. I have cascade of rhizomes and chinook at home already thinking in a production of the IPA style but wanted to add more hops ... Maybe add Nugget and Centennial to make a good mix of hops, but at the same intend to make an IPA "Sweet" that is, that is a little sweet to flee bitterness, fruity,tropical and hoppy.

I did an IPA with Calypso, Citra, and El Dorado. It was very tropical and fruity with some nice bitterness as well. My next IPA is going to be one that has your three C (Cascade, Chinook, Columbus) hops plus Calypso. I'm all about mixing new hops with old ones.
I really enjoy El Dorado and Citra, but it is difficult to arrange, so I buy rhizomes and plant to have my own hops

I really enjoy El Dorado and Citra, but it is difficult to arrange, so I buy rhizomes and plant to have my own hops

People do that as a way of expanding the hobby, but planting your own as your only source of those hops is a pretty big step and will likely only yield one or two batches worth until they've been in the ground for a few years. Still, if you have the land and the time, it's great.

If you want more volume or variety of certain hops that you can't buy domestically, many US and NZ hops shops will ship pellet hops all around the world. Since places with limited varieties of hops often charge high prices for them, you might even find that you save money by buying from abroad - as long as I'm careful about maximizing what I get versus shipping costs, I can save money this way having US hops shipped to China. If you can get foreign rhizomes where you live, you can almost certainly get pellet hops from overseas so customs shouldn't be an issue, although you'll want to double check in advance just in case.

People do that as a way of expanding the hobby, but planting your own as your only source of those hops is a pretty big step and will likely only yield one or two batches worth until they've been in the ground for a few years. Still, if you have the land and the time, it's great.

If you want more volume or variety of certain hops that you can't buy domestically, many US and NZ hops shops will ship pellet hops all around the world. Since places with limited varieties of hops often charge high prices for them, you might even find that you save money by buying from abroad - as long as I'm careful about maximizing what I get versus shipping costs, I can save money this way having US hops shipped to China. If you can get foreign rhizomes where you live, you can almost certainly get pellet hops from overseas so customs shouldn't be an issue, although you'll want to double check in advance just in case.
I have a field behind my house that I use for growing potatoes and so ... However there have 10 hop rhizomes of the variety Saaz, Cascade and Chinook. I could get you varieties in Europe, which, I will buy 10 more of each to have an acceptable production.
Now I'm torn hops which I will use for IPA ... If you can choose good hops for the IPA and give to buy rhizomes planting was ideal.

Latest posts

Back