Hops for fruit wheat beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandw12786

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm going to try my hand at a fruit wheat beer. Wondering what the best hops would be to use, or if it really matters a lot. I have Simcoe, Amarillo, Chinook, and about a half oz of cluster. I'm just doing a bittering hop addition, no flavor or aroma as I think the fruit should take care of that. Would like to be at about 20 IBU, and I'll be doing a 3 gallon batch. Will any of these work well, or should I get some at the LHBS, and what kind?

I haven't fully decided yet, I'm thinking of doing pomegranate (just going to use POM juice), but may go with peach, or even blueberry. Going to look at the grocery store for awhile and check out my options with purees and such, but would really like to try the POM juice. It's a total experiment, which is why I'm doing a 3 gallon batch instead of 5.

from the choices u have I'de go with the Amarillo or simcoe's....... cause of there "citrusy" notes.

I basically have the same question as the OP, so I'm going to use this thread...

Making a raspberry wheat this weekend. I have the whole recipe worked out except the hop schedule. I don't know anything about wheat beers, don't like em, don't drink em...so this is definitely out of my wheelhouse. Making it for the SWMBO for a family picnic we're hosting in late August.

I've looked around a bit and I see that the flavor/aroma addition doesn't matter a ton as it'll probably be overtaken by the fruit added to secondary...so I was thinking of adding a 60 min addition (undetermined quantity) and 15 min addition of probably just .25 oz. I have the following high AAU hops available...Simcoe (12.2 AAU), Citra (12.4 AAU), Colombus (11.1 AAU), Nugget (12 AAU), and Warrior (17.2 AAU) (can you tell I make mostly APAs/IPAs?? :D).

Considering these options, which would you use for both/either of the hop additions? And how much for a bittering addition? .5 oz? .75 oz? Don't want it too bitter, since it's gonna be a wheat beer. Shooting for a 5.5-6 gallon batch to account for the loss to the fruit addition in secondary.

kbuzz said:
I basically have the same question as the OP, so I'm going to use this thread...

Making a raspberry wheat this weekend. I have the whole recipe worked out except the hop schedule. I don't know anything about wheat beers, don't like em, don't drink em...so this is definitely out of my wheelhouse. Making it for the SWMBO for a family picnic we're hosting in late August.

I've looked around a bit and I see that the flavor/aroma addition doesn't matter a ton as it'll probably be overtaken by the fruit added to secondary...so I was thinking of adding a 60 min addition (undetermined quantity) and 15 min addition of probably just .25 oz. I have the following high AAU hops available...Simcoe (12.2 AAU), Citra (12.4 AAU), Colombus (11.1 AAU), Nugget (12 AAU), and Warrior (17.2 AAU) (can you tell I make mostly APAs/IPAs?? :D).

Considering these options, which would you use for both/either of the hop additions? And how much for a bittering addition? .5 oz? .75 oz? Don't want it too bitter, since it's gonna be a wheat beer. Shooting for a 5.5-6 gallon batch to account for the loss to the fruit addition in secondary.

I would recommend going to www.byo/resources/hops when you get to this page it will you a hops guide...but where it says American amber & pale ale...click here and choose wheat beers, this will give you a complete list of hops for that type of beer...choose the characteristics you want in your beer and boom, you picked your hops!

I'm assuming that was supposed to be "byo" instead of "boy"??

Thanks! That's a great resource...

kbuzz said:
I'm assuming that was supposed to be "byo" instead of "boy"??

Thanks! That's a great resource...

You are correct...my iPad autocorrected me and I didn't notice...sorry!

Back