Hops for dryhopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanHaley

Reaction score
Alright I have everything I need except hops for Dry Hopping. My first few kits will be IIPAs. After reading much, for this style of beer, the common hops used are Simcoe,Amrillo and Cascade.
Any others to recommend? I want to place a single order for a few ounces of each to hold me for awhile.

Centennial and Columbus (aka Warrior or Tomahawk) are great multi use American style hops as well. Some people really like Chinook for bittering.

It depends on what kind of profile you want. If you want something with intense citrus qualities, then yeah the ones you mentioned will work well.

I recently dry hopped a beer with Nelson Sauvin hops. It turned out insanely good. Like over-ripe pineapple and passion fruit.

If you want something more earthy/spicy then saaz or hallertau would be good.

For West Coast IPAs any of the "C" hops are great: Cascade, Centennial, Citra, Columbus.
I've been doing 2 oz combo dry hopping with good results (e.g., 1 oz Cascade + 1 oz Columbus). I just got my recent bulk purchase from Hops Direct w/Bravo that I've never tried... I'd really recommend buying some in bulk and storing in the freezer as it's a heck of a lot cheaper than buying in small amounts.

Back