Hops Direct: 2017 Crystal Hops $2/lb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have ordered from them. They are legit ...and fantastic hops.

Definitely legit, I ordered hops from them last year and they were great. I typically go between them and Yakima Valley to see who is cheaper for whatever I need at the time.

I love hopsdirect and have been purchasing hops from them for years. I too just ordered some crystal (plus Mt. Hood, Centennial, Tradition, and Columbus). 5 lbs for less than 10 bucks/lb shipped, not to mention their lbs are usually very generous.

I just hit up the Hops Direct sale, bought 4lbs of hops for around $12, $18 shipping, lol. I went ahead with it because it averages to $7.50 a pound, and that's still pretty darn good price.

I vacuum seal them in 4 oz increments. Once I open one I use what I need and keep it frozen in a zip lock, unless it's a variety I dont plan to use anytime soon. In that case I simply reseal whatever is left and toss in the hop freezer.

how do you keep them once opened? do you vacuum seal them or do you flush the pouch with co2 and then vacuum seal them? that is probably my biggest concern.

I vacuum seal mine. ...and store them in the freezer.

I vacuum seal them in 4 oz increments. Once I open one I use what I need and keep it frozen in a zip lock, unless it's a variety I dont plan to use anytime soon. In that case I simply reseal whatever is left and toss in the hop freezer.
This is pretty much what I plan to do with them.

how do you keep them once opened? do you vacuum seal them or do you flush the pouch with co2 and then vacuum seal them? that is probably my biggest concern.

I placed a big order with Hopsdirect last May. They're a great company but if you're buying in big quantities and storing awhile after opening vacuum sealing is a must IMO. I tried to do the poor man's vacuum seal with mine(wrap up and tape really tight in original O2 barrier packaging, put inside zip lock and try to squeeze out air...) but I still noticed the hop aroma dropping off big time and eventually disappearing over 6-8 month period. Never smelled like cheese or anything but the lack of 'freshness' certainly couldn't have been good for my beer. I still have 1 lb of chinook left from that order unopened, I'm going to try to plow through it as quickly as possible once opened.

My club often does a group buy from Hops Direct to share the pain on shipping. We can usually put 20 pounds together, which makes the shipping ($21.64) much more reasonable.

Back