Hops are Hopping?!?!? Yes, Up and Down!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlutoA10C

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
All, I'm very new to the brew club (and love it - this forum is fantastic!).

I did a search in existing forums and read a great deal about hops, but didn't find an answer to my question. I'm brewing a Dead Ringer IPA (Kit), that called for adding hops after 2 weeks of fermentation, allowing an additional 2 weeks in the fermenter and then bottle/keg.

Here's what's happening, I have a Catalyst Conical Fermenter (which I really like as a beginner, although I will likely upgrade someday to something more serious), the clear mason jar at the bottom allows me to watch yeast settle, etc., after 4 weeks in the fermenter (with the additional hops added at the 2 week mark - no bag), the hops appears to settle and a few hours later most of it has disappeared back into the fermenter, 6 hours later the hops has settled back into the jar, the hops is hopping!!!!

I have never brewed an IPA or added hops after fermentation has begun. Any insights from the experts on the forum is greatly appreciated! What's up with the Hops moving up and down - should I wait to bottle?

Thanks!!!!

If you’re kegging, just cold crash the beer then rack. Yeast and hops have a propensity to drop out with cold temps. You could also use gelatin finings to drop out yeast and hops for clear beer in the package. If bottling, just bottle beer, don’t worry about the hops, they’ll drop out in the bottle after keeping the bottles cold before consuming.

to answer your question though, it’s likely a small amount of co2 churning the hops around.

Last edited:
It is hard to imagine you have much fermentation left since it has been in there for four weeks. I would use the dump valve and take out all you can then bottle or keg the beer. I don't think it is anything of note. If you liked to take another gravity reading to ensure you are at your FG then do that for piece of mind, but I assume you did that prior to dry hopping.

Back