Hoppy Wheat Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmock79

Reaction score
Hi I am looking for a solid, hopped up american wheat beer recipe.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I have searched but can't come up with much...

Thanks!!!

Depends on how hoppy you want it. If you want APA/IPA-like hoppiness, then I agree try the NB Wheaten Beatdown.

One of my favorite recipes to brew is my honey wheat ale. Mt Hood hops for bittering and flavor, orange blossom honey and Centennials added late in the boil. It comes out amazing, IMO. You definitely taste the Centennials, but it's not over-the-top hoppy.

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. I think I will give your recipe a shot crookedtail...

I may also give the northern brewer recipe a shot as well...

Cheers!!

Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale is a very hoppy wheat beer that is absolutely delicious! I have a 6 gallon batch of it in the fermenter right now! Check out thebrewingnetwork for the clone recipe.

My fave is East End Wheat Hop but they don't bottle it or distro very far. Southern Tier Hop Sun or Oberon are nice. I just made my own, crossing my fingers. Also never had Gumball Head but really want to try it.

+1 on on Three Floyds Gumballhead. I made a clone of it recently and turned out fantastic. Very close to the real thing. Gumballhead is hard to find right now because of it's generous use of Amarillo hops. Are you looking for an AG recipe?

Luckily, i have to local bars that almost always have Gumballheaon tap. I've been wanting to do the Gumballhead clone but subbing in some Citra or sorachi ace hops added at the end.

skeezerpleezer said:
Luckily, i have to local bars that almost always have Gumballheaon tap. I've been wanting to do the Gumballhead clone but subbing in some Citra or sorachi ace hops added at the end.

Thats what I did essentially with Citra and it was extract and steep. We will soon see how it worked out. I dont have any reference to gumball tho.

Here's the all grain recipe I did:

Brewhouse efficiency: 75%

Grains:
5.75 lb Wheat malt
4.75 lb 2 row pale malt
1.00 lb Vienna malt
1.00 lb rice hulls

Mashed at 153 for 60 minutes

Hops:
.25 oz Amarillo (FWH)
.25 oz Amarillo @ 60 mins
.50 oz Amarillo @ 15 mins
1.25 oz Amarillo @ 5 mins
1.00 oz Amarillo @ 1 min
1.50 oz Amarillo (dry hop for 7 days)

Yeast:
WLP001 (California Ale) with a starter

OG was 1.056
FG was 1.008
ABV 6.26%

Delicious, great warm weather beer. Good luck.

Back