Hoppy American Wheat Guidance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler.W

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am working on a recipe for a Hoppy American Wheat ale. I know the BJCP guidelines top out around 0.63 BU/GU, but I’m shooting for more of an IPA vibe to this one. My question is regarding my hop schedule.

First, the malt bill is 44% Pilsner, 44% red wheat, 8% Munich, and some rice hulls to get to 1.048 for a 3 gallon batch.

I will be hopping mainly with Idaho 7, Ekuanot, and Azacca.

60 min - Nugget 0.15 oz, 11.6 IBU
10 min - Idaho, Azacca, Ekuanot 0.12oz each, total of 16.2 IBU
30 min hop stand @ 192°F - Idaho, Azacca, Ekuanot 0.25oz each, total of 19.3 IBU
Dry hop post fermentation - Azacca and Equanot - 0.75oz each

How does the schedule look? I am shooting for a bit more of a fruit forward/hop aroma bomb with this one.

Regarding the "IPA vibe" you're shooting for, are you thinking West Coast or Northeast? You mentioned wanting more bitterness (West Coast?) and you mentioned fruit forward/hop aroma bomb (Northeast)? Both? Something in between?

I want more of the NEIPA vibe for hop aroma, but more bitterness than a standard BJCP designed American Wheat. Not quite to West Coast IPA levels though, just more bitter than the guidelines lay out. I believe the schedule above yeilds 47 IBU.

Sounds like you're on the right track. BTW, your grains don't add up to 100%. (But the proportions look fine to me.)

Back