Hopping the priming solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OSUmoney83

Reaction score
In the heart of buckeye nation, now (2012) in Scot
I just transfered my brown ale to the secondary and had a taste, and found it was lacking in hop presence. It wasn't too sweet or anything, I just needed the hops to give me more of a smack in the face, for aroma and taste. Since my local HBS is closed until wed this week, Ill have to wait until then to dry hop, assuming I'm correct that it won't hurt that its been in the secondary for a couple days before adding the hops? Then the next issue, is flavor. I'm thinking that when I go to prime I could boil about 1/4 to 1/2 gallon of water with DME and about 2 oz of hops for 30 min then prime. Any thoughts about this idea? any and all advice appreciated

Are you talking priming for bottling? I would think you could add aditional hoppines then, but you would need to be sure that the ammount of DME is correct for the ammount of carbonation you are looking for. I was thinking of doing a simmilar thing with the batch I am about ready to bottle, so well see how it works.

Yeah it should work OK. The only issue is that you're trying to put a relatively huge amount of hops in a small amount of liquid. The hoppy aroma extracted won't be as much as if the solution were larger. But it'll still work, certainly enough for a Brown Ale.

Back