Hopped cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steveruch

Reaction score
I'm starting a batch of cider over the weekend and seriously considering dry hopping it with some azecca that I have plenty of. How many ozs should I use in a three gallon batch?

Agree with @doublejefe also would add hops if left longer than 7 to 10 days get a bit " grassy" or bitter.

Yep, all of the above. When I do hopped cider, I put the hops in after the primary fermentation in a "teabag" or something similar weighted down so I can jiggle it, because hops float (a torpedo is great if it fits in your fermenter). You need to be able to remove the hops when the taste is right.

I tend to use "less hops for a longer time" rather than "more hops for a shorter time" because the flavour is taken up quite quickly and can go past the profile you want over a day or so. I also work on 3g/L. As you can see from the above posts, a few days can be long enough so I taste, taste, taste each day.

Started today.

Attachments

• IMG_20220731_085920.jpg
    IMG_20220731_085920.jpg
    728.6 KB · Views: 0
I don't want to steal this thread, but it seems a good place to ask:
- Does aa % matter when dry hopping?
- and, I have cider on a saison trub and wat to leave it in the fermenter for close to 4 weeks. When would you add your hop?

I don't want to steal this thread, but it seems a good place to ask:
- Does aa % matter when dry hopping?
- and, I have cider on a saison trub and wat to leave it in the fermenter for close to 4 weeks. When would you add your hop?
Probably not.
I added mine four days before bottling and I'm happy with the result.

AA wil matter on DH, as for beer, if you add a big amount of high AA level hop in DH you will definitely have some bitterness.
not sure about that, because you need to isomerize the AA for it to become perceptible bitterness (AKA why dry-hopping beer doesn't add bitterness, only aroma/flavor)

not sure about that, because you need to isomerize the AA for it to become perceptible bitterness (AKA why dry-hopping beer doesn't add bitterness, only aroma/flavor)
DH in beer does add bitterness into beer. In most of the modern IPA (moreover NEIPA) hops a used essentially (if not only) in DH, nevertheless, most of them are quite bitter. It's always a challenge to avoid bitternes in loaded beer, most of the brewer can't do it.

DH in beer does add bitterness into beer. In most of the modern IPA (moreover NEIPA) hops a used essentially (if not only) in DH, nevertheless, most of them are quite bitter. It's always a challenge to avoid bitternes in loaded beer, most of the brewer can't do it.
any chance that you're confusing dry-hopping with whirlpool? because there are no beers made today that are purely dry-hopped - NEIPAs and the like might be whirlpool-only, but they do have hops on the hot side, where the alpha acids are isomerized thus creating perceived bitterness.

but, upon further research, i will concede that dry-hopping a low IBU beer - and by extension, should apply to a zero IBU cider - can add bitterness, per scott janish. however, i maintain that given the amounts in question here - 1 to 2 oz for a 5 gal batch of cider - i don't think you're going to over-bitter your batch even with high AA hops. i've DH'ed a dry cider with 2 oz of citra @ ~16% AA, for 4 days, and didn't have any bitterness issues. YMMV, as always.

any chance that you're confusing dry-hopping with whirlpool? because there are no beers made today that are purely dry-hopped - NEIPAs and the like might be whirlpool-only, but they do have hops on the hot side, where the alpha acids are isomerized thus creating perceived bitterness.

but, upon further research, i will concede that dry-hopping a low IBU beer - and by extension, should apply to a zero IBU cider - can add bitterness, per scott janish. however, i maintain that given the amounts in question here - 1 to 2 oz for a 5 gal batch of cider - i don't think you're going to over-bitter your batch even with high AA hops. i've DH'ed a dry cider with 2 oz of citra @ ~16% AA, for 4 days, and didn't have any bitterness issues. YMMV, as always.
No confusion between late and dry hopping. And there is beers made today purely dry hopped, at least some of mine are and I bet some brewer in the market somewhere in the world do it too.
anyway, as you said, big DH in very light hopped worst (nearly no bitterness) may give a very bitter beer (even if IBU will be considered as low but that's another story).

You are also right, with so little amout of hop for DH, the bitterness in cider will be light to none, but we have to keep in mind that in a dry cider, bitterness can be taste more easyly than in a sweet beverage as beer. I alway prefer to be on the light side than on the heavy hand one.

Back