Hopfather double IPA -dogfish head recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drhall23

Reaction score
I just brewed this beer this afternoon and followed the directions exactly. Before I added the yeast, I took my starting specific gravity reading. The Starting gravity for my double IPA reads 1.088. Recipe saids it should be 1.066.
This is the first time any of my homemades have had a SG so far off from the recipe SG. I have been home brewing for about 7 years as well.
So will my beer be bad?
Need a double shot of yeast?

Extract or AG? If extract or PM, it may just be a mixing issue. Try getting another sample before fermentation gets going. If it's still high, then post the recipe and see if we spot anything off. Also, check the recipe details. 1066 is below DIPA gravity. Maybe it was a typo.

is this a recipe out of "extreme brewing"? from what i remember a lot of those are screwy...

Yes it is. I've made quite a few from this book, and they've all turned out pretty good

It can be difficult to get good mixing when you add your top off water with an extract brew. Sounds like you may have sampled a "thinner" section of wort that hadn't yet fully mixed. If you post the recipe, we can check to see what the OG should have been.

First, sorry but I should have said a "thicker" section of wort before. Anyway, it looks like the book is way off. With 10 lbs of DME and 6 gallons of water with a 90 min boil, you would end up with a 4 - 4.5 gal batch depending on your boil off rate. OG would be in the low 1.090's and that hop schedule would have you at >150 IBUs. You would need a lot more water or less DME to get to an OG of 1.066. It sounds like your results were pretty accurate for the recipe you brewed. It will most certainly be a DIPA.

Just moved to secondary....SG is at 1.014. But had to add about a gallon of water to bring back to 5 gallon mark.

Just moved to secondary....SG is at 1.014. But had to add about a gallon of water to bring back to 5 gallon mark.

Well, it's too late now- but don't do that next time! It means watering down the beer by 20%.

You don't have to move it to secondary if you are worried about headspace in the fermenter If that's why you added water). Very few beers, expecially a nice DIPA beer would be better diluted by 20%.

Just sampled and this taste amazing! Will get the full review once my buddies sample.

Back