Hopback - any worthwhile alternatives to the Blichmann HopRocket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahawk

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I am looking to buy a hopback. I'm currently brewing 5 gal batches. Are there any good alternatives to the Blichmann HopRocket or should I just get that?

I read a review in which a guy complained that the clamp on the HopRocket would rust easily because it was not stainless steel. That's disappointing, but I can live with it, if the functionality is superior.

Please recommend any alternatives if you can.

Thanks in advance.

The entire clamp is stainless. Blichmann changed to a stainless tee-nut after a while, so if you end up with a zink plated nut, you can probably write support and they'll get you a new one. But, you wont have an issue with rust. Also, if you ever decide to go electric, it adapts back and forth to a RIMs system for cheaper than the total costs of other rims units.

The entire clamp is stainless. Blichmann changed to a stainless tee-nut after a while, so if you end up with a zink plated nut, you can probably write support and they'll get you a new one. But, you wont have an issue with rust. Also, if you ever decide to go electric, it adapts back and forth to a RIMs system for cheaper than the total costs of other rims units.

Cool. I've already gone electric, sort of, with a Grainfather (the european 2000 W version).

It also seems that the HopRocket has a built-in filter, whereas the hopbacks from e.g. Stout Tanks do not, and therefore require the use of bags.

I'll have to find mine somewhere so I can take a pic, but they are easy builds. I used something similiar to what imasickboy posted. Drilled a whole at the bottom and put a SS mesh filter over it (sink filter from bed bath and beyond), and then one on the side. Both are just threaded and held shut with a silicon o ring with a SS waster and nut. Then I also drilled a whole for a pressure release valve on the lid. Just connect the one on the side to your boil kettle, then the one on the bottom to your line going to the fermenter. Flush it with 180F+ water for a few mins before pulling the whole contents of the boil kettle through. I originally didn't have a pressure release valve but the suction from the heat can cause some lids to pop off a bit. I'm building one for our brewery that also has a .5 microstone built into so I can flush with c02 before hand as well.

Back