Hop usage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AtlasMaxx

Reaction score
I am looking to get big flavor and aroma from citra hops that are going into my imperial IPA... what is the best way to get that... dry hop, steep at the end, ect...?

My last two IPAs, I've been using 6 oz of hops total, 2.5G batches. My upcoming DIPA will have 7.5oz total.

Go big or go home for HB IPAs!

Hop bursting and dry hopping. 6-8oz in late kettle additions plus another 4oz for dry hop should do it. I've brewed 5gal batches where I used a whole pound but I think going overboard actually muddles the hop profile. You'd be surprised sometimes at how much pulling back on the hops a little can actually open the flavors up.

Just did a Citra SMaSH using the following schedule.

1 OZ 60
1 OZ 20
3 OZ 10
2 OZ FO
2 OZ at 170 for 20 minutes
4 OZ Dry Hop

Wish I had done more although it was a 10 gallon batch.

You'd be surprised sometimes at how much pulling back on the hops a little can actually open the flavors up.

Can you expound? I went heavy a long time (as high as 20oz/6G) but I am slowly backing down my amounts too... I have no desire for my beer to taste like chewing on a hop cone or smell like smashing a hop cone but am trying to coax out the flavors better. IE - I want the fruit. Seems like when I use too much Citra it ends up smelling/tasting almost like basil or herby. I want the piney pineappley tropical thing.

Can you expound? I went heavy a long time (as high as 20oz/6G) but I am slowly backing down my amounts too... I have no desire for my beer to taste like chewing on a hop cone or smell like smashing a hop cone but am trying to coax out the flavors better. IE - I want the fruit. Seems like when I use too much Citra it ends up smelling/tasting almost like basil or herby. I want the piney pineappley tropical thing.

It's hard to explain but for whatever reason it's like there's a tipping point. Sort of like brewing with spices, the right amount is wonderful but as you pass that point it becomes progressively less nuanced and more assertive. Obviously this doesn't mean you can't make great beer that way just that many times the subtleties get lost in the fog per se. There's a brewmaster down here that used to brew/quality control for CCB and we both came to the same agreement.

I have an IPA which uses a small Magnum bittering charge at 60 then adds 8oz of Citra late (1.3oz at 10min, 2.4 oz at 5min and 4.3oz in the whirlpool) with no dry hop in a 5 gal batch. This provides plenty of pineapple and peachy Citra goodness. I am not sure how adding more hops would dramatically improve the beer.

I will note, I think Yeast choice makes a big difference. I use YeastBay Vermont IPA (conan) and I think it really helps the hops shine.

[...]I am not sure how adding more hops would dramatically improve the beer.

Among its strengths, Citra is an awesome aromatic strain, one of the most potent dry-hoppers I use.
Next batch, dry hop with a 2-3 ounces of Citra for 4-5 days at ~68°F.
You just might be impressed ;)

Cheers! :mug:

I need to try throwing a dry hop into this recipe. The original recipe did use a dry hop. For simplicity sake, I moved it to the whirlpool. I just may try breaking the whirlpool in half and taking the other half and using it as a dry hop next time.

I think the effects of dry hopping are very much diminishing returns when hitting the whirlpool hard. You get plenty of aroma from the whirlpool. Only technique I've not tried is dialing back all other additions and HUUUGE dry hop.

I won't deny yeast interaction, but the fruity flavors I speak of are very much still apparent in beers that are well known for using chico, yet they manage to make it seems like they put pineapple or gauva juice in the beer... A few other good brewers that I chatted with say we can't pull it off since our hops are basically the weakest offerings. The pros get top shelf...

Back