Hop Twine Strength Question - is 39lb. enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomascbucher

Reaction score
I am growing hops from a planter in my walk out basement up strings through an eyebolt on the eave of my roof. This is ~20ish feet up.

How strong does the twine need to be? I dont have a LHBS in the area, but bought some 39lb. load limit rated 3-strand twisted sisal rope. Its 5-6 mm thick.

I have the screw shaped dog leash anchors around the planter and my plan was to tie the rope off, pull up and through the eyebolt, then tie the end back off on the dog stake. I have 3 stakes and 2 bines chosen per stake.

Any thogughts? This is just 1 plant in my backyard as a hobby, and the plant is ready to start climbing.

Thanks!

First year plants are unlikely to test a 30 pound drop, but I'd look for a bit heavier strength - 50 pounds would be about right - a year or two from now.
A mature plant can easily crank out 20-something pounds of vegetation by the week or so before harvest time, and a 20 foot tall mature plant can become one hell of a sail on a windy day...

Cheers!

Back