Hop Tea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matteo57

Reaction score
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone has messed with hops in their tea at all? I was thinking of infusing some hops with iced tea. Maybe passion tea or green tea? Maybe some really tropical flavored hops like Citra, Kohatu, Galaxy, etc. Dry hopping the tea? :)
Any ideas? Anyone do this at all?
Thanks!

I think that it wold be a great idea, Think I will give it a try. I do chew on hops al the time, It is like drinking down a IPA all the time.

Wondering if you could use pellets of if you would really be better suited to use cones....

It all depends what you are trying to achieve: bitterness or flavor. I grow 4 varieties at home and during the weeks leading up to harvest I will pick one and do the old "a pinch between cheek and gums" thing and suck on them for a few hours. But I'm not sure about adding them to tea, which is already pretty astringent. If you're leaning towards using them in sweet tea that might work better.
But hey, experiment, even if nobody else likes the result, if you do that's all that matters.

I've been thinking about this might grab a bag of hole cone hops next time I'm at the LHBS

I have ended up with a bag of dried hops, I just grab a cone and suck on it. Funny thing, Since I have been doing this, I have not had a cold or flu, no shots either. My wife has had them all be I have missed it all. I wonder??

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone has messed with hops in their tea at all? I was thinking of infusing some hops with iced tea. Maybe passion tea or green tea? Maybe some really tropical flavored hops like Citra, Kohatu, Galaxy, etc. Dry hopping the tea? :)
Any ideas? Anyone do this at all?
Thanks!

Hops along with valerian are used in both sleepy time teas and natural sleep aid products so it might make you a sleepy boy:mug:

I might just order a bag of whole cone hops and try it. Who knows, right? Ifast636, let me know if you try it also!
and It of course would be for flavor, so I don't think I would want to steep it while it's hot! more so room temp overnight or in the fridge maybe? Cold steep? Will have to try and few different options maybe

Hi everyone,

I found a different thread a while back about people trying out hop tea/adding hops in the pint glass. One common complaint was the extra floaters from the pellets.

I just tried this out yesterday and it worked reasonably well. Some particles got through, but most of them by far were filtered out. Much better than when I tried with the pellets floating about.

Making the tea is quite bitter, and if you accidentally use too much hops/water, quite acidic and heartburn inducing. I would say that 5 pellets was way too many for about 12 oz of water. 2-3 pellets was a much nicer drink. I've tried some different combinations, including hops by themselves, hops with black tea, hops with green tea, hops with fruit flavored tea, and all were pretty good. Hops with green tea is my favorite, and a bit of sugar or honey can be added to balance the bitterness. The hop tea definitely has a calming effect. Quite nice on a lunch break!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back