Hop T-P

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mapleroots

Reaction score
I'm planning on building a hop Tee P with a variety of plants; Cascade, nugget, crystal and magnum. Will these plants work good together, or is there something that I should know about growing different variety's together.
I live in northern Indiana and our climate is pretty humid and hot,(though the last couple of years haven't proven so), and I want to know if these plants will do well in this type of environment? It's also ben pretty cold, and wet up here and I'm pretty sure that I'm not behind in getting them in the ground. I'm planning on ordering from freshops and putting them in the ground as soon and they arive, this should be mid April. If there are any other Indiana growers out ther I would like to hear what you are doing with you gardens. I'm a first time grower.
Thanks peace from Zionbrewing.

When growing multiple varieties in one location you’ll have trouble keeping the cones segregated. A real problem when it comes time to harvest.

becouse they intertwine? I was just reading a scrip at freshops and they also sugest that you use only one variety per trelis, this must be why.

Mapleroots - On most teepee style trellises, the lower portions will be separated and easily identifiable. At the top they may get intertwined and be difficult to separate at harvest. You can try to keep them separated, but sidearms reach out and tangle sometimes.

I know some growers who use teepee style trellises, but they planted all the same variety on each individual trellis.

thanks for the help. I just came up with a trellis that will be both space efficient and help separate the 4 types of hops that I am planning on growing. I'm going to run a vertical type trellis were I will plant two rhizomes of cascade and two rhizomes of magnum at equal distances, hopefully keeping the two separate. then from one end of the trellis I'm going to teepee the remaining 4 nugget plants, and do the same on the other side for the remaining Mt. Hood plants. could you give me some advice on distances for spacing the plants?

Back