Hop Stand vs Dry Hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njpatg

Reaction score
Guys / Gals

I will be going on vacation and would like to brew and bottle prior to leaving . I will be making a MO/ Citra smash which calls for dry hopping . Based on my timeframe I was considering doing a hop stand rather than dry hop , what do you think . Thanks !

Pat

Shoot for a ABV similar to a pale ale... 5.2-5.5 %...

Big hopstand...

Just throwing something out there, 45-55 IBU

FWH of .25 oz
.50 oz at 30
1 oz at 5 minutes
2-3 oz at 175 degrees for 30 minutes or so..

Edit: Last addition is a hopstand. Just to clarify

Do both, but if you don't have time to dry hop, do the hopstand. I would do more like 45m to an hour of a hopstand though, longer you stand the more of the oils come off in the beer and give it great aroma. I also try to cool it to 170 so I don't have to worry about DMS buildup during the hopstand.

Caveat: Many here think DMS is a boogieman in homebrew. I am not among them, as I have tasted it in many contests I've judged.

The hopstand will work great. I just did a beer like this. 4.2 oz citra in the hopstand for 30 min. When I kegged I had huge aroma. I am sure a dry hop would add something, but I'd be hard pressed to imagine it makes it that much more intense.

I find a good hopstand has more of an impact on the final hop character than a single addition dry hop of the same amount. But like peopel have said, I consider both of these techniques essential to get a good homebrewed IPA

When you don't have time for a dry hop (in a second vessel or the keg) just throw some into the primary fermenter after the beer has attenuated most of the way. Let them sit for a few days or a week, and you will get a nice boost in aroma without having to rack to another carboy or worry about doing it in the keg.

Back