Hop Stand Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iagainsti

Reaction score
I'm going to be hop bursting an IPA with a 60 min hopstand for the first time, and had two questions i was hoping to get help with:

Should I consider doing a 90 min boil to reduce the risk of higher DMS levels that could result during the extended hopstand?

I am planning on adding a 2 oz addition at flameout, and then adding another 2 oz addition at 170s degree 30 min into to hopstand. I've heard that 10% is a pretty good estimate for the utiliazation during a hop stand, but should I expect a difference in utlization between the first and second additions?

Here's the receipe i'm working on:

5 gallon batch

6.25 lbs Maris Otter
3.25 lbs 2-row
2 lbs Vienna
.5 Crystal 20

.5 oz Warrior Leaf 16% aa FWH

1oz Columbus Leaf 13% aa @ Flameout
1 oz Simcoe leaf 13.7% aa @ Flameout

1oz Columbus Leaf 13% aa @ 170 deg for 30 min
1 oz Simcoe leaf 13.7% aa @ 170 deg for 30 min

Nottingham Yeast

Dry hop with an ounce of Columbus and Simcoe for 10 days.

You should be fine at a 60 min boil. I don't think a hop stand has any effect on DMS. If I were you I would add some hop additions between 20 min and 5 min. It is still considered hop bursting if you have the hops additions at 20 min or less. To each his own, though.

Back