Hop spider question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lenny308

Reaction score
So just wondering when using a hop spider what everyone does with flame out hop additions. Do you leave the hop spider in while you cool? I am just wondering as I use an immersion chiller and stir to circulate the wort for faster chilling. Obviously the spider would be in the way for this. So do you just add them directly to the wort?

So just wondering when using a hop spider what everyone does with flame out hop additions. Do you leave the hop spider in while you cool? I am just wondering as I use an immersion chiller and stir to circulate the wort for faster chilling. Obviously the spider would be in the way for this. So do you just add them directly to the wort?

I leave my spider in place while I add in the hops at FO. I usually let them "steep" for 10-15 minutes and occasionally lift up and down to dunk like a tea bag. I'll remove the spider, put the sanitized chiller in place, then cool.

I always hesitate to add hops directly to wort but there are many who do. I like clean wort into fermenter.

I also tried a hop spider for a while and I hit the same issues you describe. I eventually gave up on it and now use hop bags. That way I can either remove the bags or push them to the side while I stir during cooling.

I know a lot of people don't use bags at all and just throw the hops in directly. I personally like the lower amount of trub by using bags. Whatever works best for you!

Cheers

I will leave late addition or flame out hops in the spider and cool at the same time. It doesn't take that long to get below temps that would increase bitterness.

I put one of the spider legs in the kettle handle and the hops bag between the chiller and the kettle when I am hand stirring the wort to help cool it. I am moving toward a pump to recirculate during chilling, but not quite there yet.

Thanks for all the input. Not sure what I’ll settle on doing but at least now I can make a decision based on others experience and ideas.

i've been using a hop screen. it's like a hop spider but had a top that screws on and the whole thing goes into the wort. I have a copper wire attached to the top that i use to pull it out to add hops during the boil.

when i add the flavor hops at 20 min, i pull it out, drop in the immersion chiller to sanitize and add the screen back in.

for the flame out, i pull the screen, add hops and place the screen back into the wort, in the middle of the chiller.
i found that stirring the wort with the chiller is more effective than using a paddle to stir the wort inside the chiller.

once the wort is a little below pitching temp, i pull the screen and chiller.
i stir well to get a whirlpool going and let it sit for 20 minutes.
i notice a bit of hop material in a tight pile in the center of the kettle.
the hot/cold break remains in suspension and drops over the 20 minutes.
it seems to settle evenly across the bottom.

i started using the screen to get clearer wort into the fermenter.
i think maybe the hops helps the hot/cold break stick to the cone.
i'm going to go back to letting the hop pellets roam free and see if the cone improves at all.

I always put my immersion chiller when there's 15 min left in the boil to sanitize. My hop spider then can sit right in the middle of the chiller. I sometimes leave the hop spider in all the way down to 65 degrees. In other words, they can both coexist in my brew kettle at the same time.

Back