Hop sniffin'

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChshreCat

Reaction score
I picked up some hops today and as is my habit, I had to smell 'em.

Opened up the Hallertauer
*sniff*
meh

Opened up the Saaz
*sniff*
meh

Opened up the Perle
*sniff*
I wanted to EAT THE FRIGGIN' BAG OF HOPS!

Anyone else notice how some hops are just kind of *meh* while other's smell amazing?

I never really imagined that there'd be such a difference between varieties when it came to smell. I figured some would be stronger than others, but the saaz and hallertauer were like... just a kind of a basic veggie smell and that's it, but the perle was fantastic.

Anyone else a habitual hop sniffer? Come on... admit it... you do it.

I feel like inhaling all of them, however some, such as Centennial give me a little shiver.

I love the smell of hops. When I was brewing today and opened a bag I took a whiff. Got so excited I went and told SWMBO to take in a good sniff. She about gagged and I'm lucky I didn't get cock punched.

I always sniff my hops. My wife love too as well! :rockin:

My daughter just had her first brew day, but I don't think she fully appreciated the beautiful aroma of all the hops I showed her. She is only 9 days old. :D

I sniff them all, its part of my brewing ritual. Not only is the smell amazing, so is the fact that there is such a large difference in the different hops. Fuggles smell absolutely nothing like cascades.

Hello,

My name is Kornbread. And I'm a hop sniffer. :eek:

Oh, I agree that Perle hops do smell amazing.

Hop sniffer here.

Some of my brewmates put hops in a "pipe" and smoked them (may have smoked something else first ;) ). THAT was a good brewnight.

I love the smell of good hops. In fact, I have some old Cascade hops in a bowl in my living room right now just so I can experience their constant fragrance. Very relaxing.

Okay, maybe that's overboard. But dang, they smell good.

-Steve

I brought a bag of whole Cascade hop flowers to work the other day, and after some surprised looks and the requisite giggling, only some found the aroma pleasing-- others thought it smelled like a$$.

Meh. To each his/her own.

-Steve

Styrian Goldings today was quite nice.

I also always nibble on a small piece of the pellets I'm using. Had to go to the milk jug to get rid of the Magnum heat a couple weeks ago:cross:

I have and do sniff 'de hops.

I used to have whole hops in a little bowl on my desk when I did tech support.
it made the cubicle much nicer.
One of my coworkers tried to smoke them once.. but that is a story left for brewday.

Back