Hop Seeds can you

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregg Meyer

Reaction score
Just plant seeds and start your plants from that instead of rysomes?? I don't have a clue. Is this difficult. I also realize it would be at least one season before you can harvent the hops??? Is that true???

Oscar,

Yes, it can be grown from seed. First year from rhizome doesn't yield too much. I haven't grown any from seed but it may take 2 years. Perennials tend to spend their first year and energy developing roots (or in this case rhizomes).

Good luck finding a nursery that'll sell you seeds. Most hop farms hate seeds, because male hop plants futz with the female plants. The females are the only ones that put out cones, and when they're fertilized, there's less yield, and generally turn out inferior hops. Plus it takes longer to reach maturation with seeds. You really are better off looking for rhizomes.

Don't do it!

With rhizomes you can be pretty sure your getting females only. From seed, you have no control over the sex of the plant. And, as EvilTOJ alluded to, you do not want males.

There are some seed companies that sell hop seeds but they dont list variety. So all you would know is its a hop but not what kind. Then youd have to get them tested to find out AA. At least if you know the variety you can make an assumption of the AA.

Wow this sounds like a really screwed up mess. I gues rysomes is the way to go.
Norjhtern brewer has a book on Hops for sale. has anyone read it and if so is it a good pub?

I want to try the hops growing thing. I think it would make a really good brew.

thanks for the info brewing dudes.

Oscar,

Just get a cascade hop rhizome from Northern Brewer and read up on how to plant/grow it. We need more cascade at this time!! My cascade plant yielded enough for at least one dry hop in it's first season.

I have the green hop growing book. Haven't had time to get through it all, but I think the summary is to put the root in the ground where it can get some sun once it sprouts. I guess I better read it and see if my guess is right.

It came recommended, so give it a shot if you don't feel like shoot'n from the hip...

Hops are like apples, when you plant a seed you have little or no idea what you'll end up with. Hop breeding programs screen thousands of plants to find one good one.

Back