Hop Schedule?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mugsfull

Reaction score
I'm making a pale/IPA today. I have 4 oz hops and was curious for input about how I should schedule the additions and/or dry hop.

Recipe:

Partial Mash

4.5 lbs 2 row
1 lb Crystal 40
.5 lb Flaked Barley

3 lbs DME

Hops:

2 oz Simcoe
1 oz Chinook
1 oz Cascade

Any suggestions are welcome.

What are the AAUs of the hops?

You'd probably get the most out of the hops to use the chinook for bittering, and the simcoe and cascade for flavoring and aroma. Four ounces of hops isn't much, if you want to dryhop as well.

Probably something like this

1 ounce chinook 60 minutes

1 ounce simcoe 15 minutes
1 ounce cascade 5 minutes

Dryhop one ounce simcoe.

If you had more hops, I'd do this:

1.5 ounces hops 60 minutes
1 oz hops 15 minutes
1 oz hops 5 minutes
1 oz hops 0 minutes

1-2 oz hops dryhopping.

1oz of one of them @ 60 mins (FWH would be even better) - whichever will be best for bittering.

Then mix the rest together and add 1oz at 15 mins, 1oz at 1 min, 1oz at flameout.

I would FWH 1oz of Simcoe and then throw the other 3ozs in at flameout, put lid on kettle for 20 minutes then remove and cool.

Probably something like this

1 ounce chinook 60 minutes

1 ounce simcoe 15 minutes
1 ounce cascade 5 minutes

Dryhop one ounce simcoe.

I'd stick with something like what Yooper suggested. Hop additions in the 20min-flameout are key for developing hop flavor. Flameout additions are mainly for aroma.

First Wort Hopping (FWH) will smooth out the bitterness compared to a 60 minute addition. Also the way i suggested you will get lots of hop flavor in addition to a lot of aroma. Yooper's suggestion will work well too.

Back