Hop schedule advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaGoalie

Reaction score
Brewing an IPA soon and I'd like to know your recommended hop schedule/amounts. Here's what I have available (5 gallon batch):

-Amarillo 8oz
-Cascade 8oz
-Chinook 2oz
-El Dorado 2oz
-Lemondrop 2oz
-US Tettnang 8oz
-Citra 2oz

I will be dry hopping.

Thanks in advance!!!!!

1 oz chinook @60
2 oz Amarillo @flameout
2 oz Cascade @flameout
1 oz citra DH
1oz Cascade DH
1 oz Amarillo DH

You could bump it up on all levels if you want it more hoppy
I hate anything lemon
Tettnang would be out of place
I have a full pound of El Dorado I'm trying to figure out what to do with...doesn't get the best reviews.

Assuming a mid - 60's OG,

for me:
.5 oz chinook @ 60
.75 oz citra & ElDorado @20
1 oz each Cascade, ElDorado, Amarillo @ F/O
Chill to <170°F
1.25 oz Citra, 1.25 oz Amarillo, 1.25 oz Chinook & .25 oz Eldorado (use the rest) whirlpool/hopstand for 20 min
Dryhop 5 days with 2 oz Amarillo, 2 oz Cascade and .5 chinook

Edited hops due to realizing I missed the qty on hand

Last edited:
4 oz Amarillo, 2 oz cascade in hop stand. 2 oz citra, 2 oz el Dorado, 2 oz lemon drop in the dry hop.

1 oz chinook @60
2 oz Amarillo @flameout
2 oz Cascade @flameout
1 oz citra DH
1oz Cascade DH
1 oz Amarillo DH

You could bump it up on all levels if you want it more hoppy
I hate anything lemon
Tettnang would be out of place
I have a full pound of El Dorado I'm trying to figure out what to do with...doesn't get the best reviews.

I brewed a pale ale a couple months ago, bittering with Chinook and then a mix of Cascade and El Dorado finishing, followed by a hefty dose of El Dorado dry hop. Turned out great.

with those hops you really can't go wrong

I'd use 1oz Chinook for bittering and Cascade/Amarillo at flameout/80C - then dry hop with remaining Cascade/Amarillo - you could use 4oz or 16oz - either way you'll have good beer with an IPA grain bill

I used to love Citra and it got me in to brewing - but Amarillo, Cascade and Chinook have become preferred now I've come to know more about the differences

Back