Hop rocket anyone ever use pellet hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew Beard

Reaction score
I bring this up because the new hop missle will accept pellet hops with rice hulls in a bag. Can I do this in the hop rocket? They look identical.

I don't see pellets as being intrinsically compatible with hop rockets in general.

This note is from the Kegland site:

Please Note:
When using pellet hops, or if you have a large amount of trub and debris it may compact and impede the flow of the Hop Missile. To help prevent this, installing a pre-filter in your pot is recommended to prevent excessive quantities of material from entering the hopback. We also highly recommend using rice hulls in combination with hop pellets to aid in wort passing through the Hop Missile.

I would expect lining that device with fine mesh would cause it to block up as soon as the pellets turn into mush (a minute?)

Cheers!

If you layer the hops in a mesh with rice hulls, just wodering if anyone has tried it.

Given how similar this device is (if not an outright rip-off) of the Blichmann HopRocket I'd Google the latter wrt use with pellets and see what folks have had the best success doing...

Cheers!

I reckon a cone / pellet combo would get ya some better results as far as flow and filtering. Pellets are much easier to deal with in the kettle, I can't imagine a device making it easier to separate then a standard whirlpool collection. Cones are a different ballgame, and a proven to be a PITA on my system with some kind of filter device.

Back