Hop reserves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xSpeaker

Reaction score
I'm looking at http://www.hopsdirect.com/, and I'm thinking of just buying a few different kinds of hops and depleting the store of 'em as time goes on and I brew more.

The Questions:
-How long will hops last in the freezer? I figure if I can use 1/2lb before they go bad I still cut my costs in half.

-What kinds should I buy? I'm thinking at least Cascade or Saaz since they're in everything. Maybe two other recommendations as good staples? [I realize how much variety there can is, but just looking for some broad suggestions]

Thanks!

If you vacuum pack them, they'll last a LONG time. Like a couple of years in the freezer, if you use a Foodsaver or other vacuum sealer.

I make tons of APAs and IPAs, and very few English or German styles, so I have on hand pounds of: cascade, centennial, chinook, willamette, northern brewer, amarillo, simcoe, magnum (for bittering), and a couple of others I can't think of right now. I have about 8 ounces of US saaz, since I rarely use them.

I'd suggest thinking of some future recipes, and buying hops to match what it is you want to brew.

I also agree that having a good selection on hand is a must which is why I always have Cascade, Centennial, Amarillo, Fuggles and Willamettes in the freezer.

**Yummy... Simcoe! If your ever to consider get rid of any please look me up :eek: **

Latest posts

Back