Hop replacements

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BKmyWAY

Reaction score
I was reading an interesting article recently about pre-reinheitsgebot beers, and how there used to be many different bittering/preserving herbs besides hops, but only dandelions were listed.

Has anyone used something besides hops with any success?

Thanks!

-BK

I have an ethiopian friend who makes t'ej and tella (ethiopian mead and beer, respectively) with gesho, a native plant to ethiopia. They actually call it hops there. It has a really nice bittering quality.

Not yet... but all evening I've been reading about Gruit Ales. The primary herbs are sweet gale, yarrow, and wild rosemary... I'm tinkering w/ a Scottish Red recipe now and planning a trip to a local herb farm for tomorrow.

I've used heather, mugwort, sweet gale, juniper berries, yarrow,lemon balm herb and coriander seed all with good results. mugwort is very bitter, as can be the juniper berries. sweet gale imparts a strong flavor so go light. I've gone as High as 1.5 oz at various stages on corindader... but I like coriander... start with an ounce spaced over last 15 min. if you like that dry hop with another half oz (coriander was hand crushed in mortis & pestle). heather is very mild I'd start with at least an ounce and work up from there. found 2 oz is right for me at flame out. never dry hopped with it but will go there next up to another ounce. there is a book called the home brewers garden:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1580170102/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

great book I have a copy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back