Hop replacement HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steiger66

Reaction score
I'm in the process of brewing a Lawnmower Saison kit from Midwest. I just noticed 1 oz of US Goldings Hops is missing (Kit should have 2 oz Goldings 1 oz for bittering and one for aroma) I have 1 oz of cascade here on hand. How would that change the flavor or aroma depending on when its added? Or should I even add the cascade at all? Thanks

Hmm. I cant remember how cascades bitters, but I would maybe split them equally. Uless you want cascade aroma which is a bit stronger than goldings. I guess its up to you how you want your finished beer,maybe smell them and decide? Goldings I know is pretty smooth bittering not shure of cascades maybe a little harsher and pineyer?

the first hop addition is 1 oz of saaz after 30 min 1oz of goldings then last 5min is goldings again. Thinking maybe 1/2 oz cascade for aroma

If the aa's are in line I would bitter with the cascade and keep the later additions the same -I think that would keep you closest to the intended recipe. Now if you want to change it up and add the cascade aroma that's different.

I did 3/4 oz Goldings at 30min and a 1/4oz goldings for the last 5min.

You used half your hops yet stuck to your recipe. Sazz? not shure what your doing here still. Not making much sence.
good luck hope it turns out.

Back