Hop problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamie02173

Reaction score
I done my first BIAB brew last week and as im a beginner I was unsure about the hop situation and assumed if I left the hops in the brew, it would create unwanted bits in my brew( not knowing about the yeast at the bottom!). So when my worth coolled for pitching my yeast 20 minutes after the boil(as i used a cooler)I removed my hops in the mesh bag and squeezed any liquid. Will this be a major problem and should i add dry hops?

Dry hops are a choice based on style, not a requirement. They are not present in many styles.

"Wet" hops in the boil are a requirement in 99% of beer styles. However, they are either removed before collecting the wort, or they are collected along with the wort and allowed to naturally settle (which they will, because they are solid). Either way, it doesn't matter and how you handle them is simply a choice.

Most new brewers soon realize there are many ways to deal with hops, and will try numerous of these methods along their brewing journey. You'll find that each method has its proponents.

Cool i was not sure and rushed it a bit so basically i removed the hops and worlock tablet after a solid 60 minutes in the boiking worth so hoping I was safe lol. I also added gypsum to the lager although not in the recipe

Cool i was not sure and rushed it a bit so basically i removed the hops and worlock tablet after a solid 60 minutes in the boiking worth so hoping I was safe lol. I also added gypsum to the lager although not in the recipe
Why the gypsum? Does your water require some? This is a lager, so is it a hoppy lager or are you just experimenting?

Its my first time so i was watching ways and i thought gypsum helped when using tap water i added possibly a teaspoon or two. Do you think this will have a negative affect?

Its my first time so i was watching ways and i thought gypsum helped when using tap water i added possibly a teaspoon or two. Do you think this will have a negative affect?

That would depend on what's already in your water, and how much water we're talking about. Do you have a water report that lists the ions in your water?

Perhaps you are thinking of Campden Tablets. They are a thing that should be added to most tap water before brewing with it, as it removes chlorine and chloramines.

May or may not have a negative effect. You should start by getting a water report from your city. (Online, possibly?) Once you know what is already in your water, you can make any needed adjustments from there.

Last edited:
Adding gypsum to your water when you really don’t know the composition of your water is pretty random. I applaud your effort, but I would stay way from water additions until you know a bit more.
As a general rule calcium sukfate will enhance hoppiness .

Adding gypsum to your water when you really don’t know the composition of your water is pretty random. I applaud your effort, but I would stay way from water additions until you know a bit more.
As a general rule calcium sukfate will enhance hoppiness .
Youtube videos on lager was my downfall!! I saw a couople of lager vidoes were they added gypsum and i put the correct ratio for a 23 litre brew which was very little

Oh my goodness! Did you use hand sanitizer? I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself.
The master said to "Relax. Don't worry. Have a home-brew." Please listen to him.
I did i had a basin with saniter and scooped it out with the rod i was using to stir the worth, and squeezed from the top by twisting to to make sure there was no unsanitised contact!!

Its my first so experimenting but i dont mind a mild lager i bought after hops so ill debate about using them on this batch

Back