Hop pellets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope, dump 'em in. They'll dissolve, and what is left over will settle to the bottom with your trub. I see no reason to use a bag, others may disagree.

Quick answer is no. The only time I use one is if I plan to use my plate chiller. But if you are not using one there is no reason for it. Just toss them in.

2 questions what us trub and what is a plate chiller?

Trub is yeast and by-product from fermentation of wert that settles on the bottom of your carboy. You don't need a bag for hops in your carboy/fermenting chamber but I would use one in your boiling pot unless you are using a false bottom. Chiller plate is copper tubing used in cooling the wert.

Do you need a steeping bag for hop pellets?

It depends on your system. If you use a stainless mesh kettle screen in your boil kettle, putting pellet hops in a bag is a good idea to keep it from clogging. In most other situations, dumping them straight in is ok.

I just toss'em right into the boil. I whirlpool & use a dual layer fine mesh strainer to strain & aerate it going into primary. Less trub means more clear beer going into the bottles. A plate chiller is a flat metal box sort of thing that has cold water running through one side & the hot wort through the other side. I use muslin sacks for dry hopping, but not in the brew kettle anymore. Tossing them in the boil loose gives a bit more edge to the hops in my opinion.

When using hop pellets loose in the boil, I prefer to strain the dregs going into primary. don't want any extra hop funk going on to ruin the beer during primary. Not to mention, getting more clear beer come bottleing day.

Back