Hop Juice Madison River Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
I stopped into my "office" last evening. The Grand Hotel in Big Timber, Mt, and had one beer and headed home. My usual favorite on tap is Prickly Pear by Lewis and Clark Brewing in Helena, a nice APA, but for a change I decided to have the Hop Juice by Madison River Brewing in Belgrade, Mt.

I've had this beer before, but it has a bit more IBUs than I prefer, though not bad, and it's far stronger than I like at 9% ABV. I was alone, at the bar, as it was early, so I focused on the beer instead of Trump's latest outrage. A nice change of pace.

The beer has an intensely fruity flavor....(quite pleasant).... very much "American IPA", no resemblance to a true IPA, but that's typical of American bastardization of the style. We need a descriptor besides IPA for these kinds of beers. I was trying to pin down the hops, and I nailed the Amarillo, but couldn't pin down what it was paired with.

I have no intention of duplicating it because of the ABVs, and the fact that I prefer a bit more spice, and an ABV of around 6, but I was interested in incorporating some of the flavor elements into one of my APAs. I checked the Madison River website, and discovered the only hop it was paired with was Simco. Also that a LOT of hops were used....... as I had surmised. Their hopping rate was equal to 4/10 of a pound for a 5 gallon brew, or about 1.3 ounces per gallon, actually not much more than I use. Obviously there was a lot of dry hop, and or hopback addition.

If you are inclined toward intensely fruity brews, this combination and hopping rate might be worth looking into.

They claimed 2800 pounds of malt, which for a 20 barrel brew would equate to about 16.5 pounds of malt for a 5 gallon brew, which nails it on Brewer's Friend.

More and more I find myself picking apart microbrews, and experimenting with the pieces..........

H.W.

The first stop on my last trip back to Bozeman, Mt. was to swing by the store and pick up The Juice! It was one of my favorites in college (partially because of the ABV, which is maybe a tad overboard) and I've been thinking about trying to recreate something like this.

Lets see if I can make something out of these pieces....

Latest posts

Back