Hop Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stever1000

Reaction score
I need some help with these hops... I picked them from a local brewers garden today and I am wondering if they are okay to use. They are nugget, and most of them smell floraly, with the odd one smelling slightly like cheese.

Are these all okay to use? I don't want to go one by one smelling and determining if they smell right, but on the other hand I don't want to waste my time and grain if they ruin my beer.

The lighting is not the greatest, but most of them are greeny(like the first pic) and/or yellowy
Some are faint green without much color.

I am going to dry them with a fan and screen, any advice on whether they are all good to use would be great! Thanks!! :mug:

20161011_200426.jpg

20161011_200450.jpg

20161011_200342.jpg

20161011_200326.jpg

20161011_200311.jpg

20161011_200334.jpg

If it were me, I'd just make a couple hop teas. One with some good smelling ones, and one with some different smelling ones. Just bring a couple cups of water to the boil, turn the heat off, drop some hops in, stir for a bit and let it cool, maybe refrigerate it, then taste it.

If it were me, I'd just make a couple hop teas. One with some good smelling ones, and one with some different smelling ones. Just bring a couple cups of water to the boil, turn the heat off, drop some hops in, stir for a bit and let it cool, maybe refrigerate it, then taste it.

The aroma isn't strong unless I roll them in my fingers, and making a few different teas wouldn't represent the end product because they are all mixed together :(

If I use all of the hops, without drying them, and use them as a 60min addition, could I expect it to work well at bittering and I would entirely avoid the aroma/flavour of the "bad" hops?

If I use all of the hops, without drying them, and use them as a 60min addition, could I expect it to work well at bittering and I would entirely avoid the aroma/flavour of the "bad" hops?

Anyone? I have some drying now and some in the fridge (undried)

I used 19oz of wet hops last night and saved 7 oz of dried hops for the future.

I will see how it tastes in a few weeks...not sure what to expect.
I also added some cascade at the end to help mask any off flavours from the "bad" hops

By pure miracle my OG was 1.038 due to miscalculating my water volumes....BUT the old, mystery yeast, I pitched must be my 3711 saison from last year...it brought the gravity down to 1.000...a handful of mistakes and the outcome is 5% beer...not bad :mug:

By pure miracle my OG was 1.038 due to miscalculating my water volumes....BUT the old, mystery yeast, I pitched must be my 3711 saison from last year...it brought the gravity down to 1.000...a handful of mistakes and the outcome is 5% beer...not bad :mug:

What about flavor/bitterness?

What about flavor/bitterness?

Flavour is good, bitterness is less than I was expecting but I have no idea how to approximate it since they are wet hops and may not be prime

The cascade at the end of the boil definitely helped :mug:

Going to keg this today and hope for the best. If it turns out bad, its only a few bucks and my time :mug:

Back