Hop heads, a new (new to me) hoppy beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImperialStout

Reaction score
Hello all you hop heads,

I just discovered a beer called Hop Nosh. This may be old news to some but it is new to me. The beer is made by Uinta ( pronounced You-In-Ta ) Brewing in Salt Lake City, Utah. The beer is a 7.3% ABV beer with a great hoppy aroma, a pleasant hoppy taste and a great, slightly bitter after taste. The beer pours cloudy so suspect this is an unfiltered beer.

What history I have gathered is the beer was called Hop Notch but was recently changed to Hop Nosh. Happened to find the beer in cans labeled Hop Notch but bought the beer in bottles labeled Hop Nosh.

To those who are familiar with this brew, what can you tell me about it? What hops or yeast do they use? Any clone recipes available?

I live in SLC. I heard they use Apollo hops, and that's all I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Just had this beer last week, it looked interesting so I picked up a six pack (They had it at Seven Eleven here in FL, lol). I enjoyed it, great hop profile, perfect amount of bitterness for my taste and balanced well with the malt. Their website says it has is 7.3% ABV and rated at 82 IBU. That's even a higher IBU than Sierra Nevada's Turbo, but to me it seems smoother and more drinkable...with a very slight sweetness. Another plus, I love the bottles! I am keeping them for bottling my own brews.

Unita offers no info on hops used or malts; I would guess Cascade and Centennial, with Columbus at flame-out and dry hop. It has a great malt profile, with an slightly noticeable beady flavor, so I have seen some clone's use a small amount of red wheat along with the 2 row and caramel...I would guess that's about right.

I will definitely be drinking more of this, one of my new favorite IPA's :mug:

It's a nice smooth IPA, when i tasted it i got primarily Simcoe, maybe some Centennial...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back