Hop Harvest split batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brizzo

Reaction score
So this past Sunday I decided to harvest my 7 hop plants that my parents are babysitting for me in Maine while I am spending a few Years in Connecticut. I didn't want to deal with drying all of them so I decided I would make a harvest ale and then split into two batches and ferment one as an American pale ale and one as a farmhouse/saison style. I just made a 11 gallon neutral base and then did hop stands with fresh picked wet hops at the end of the boil in each split

The base recipe I threw together was:
16lbs pale 2 row
4lbs Vienna
2lbs wheat
1lb rye
1lb crystal 20

1oz magnum 15% @60
.5 magnum 12% @30

At the end of the boil I split 5.5 gallons into 2 pots.

For the farmhouse ale I did a hop stand with 3ozs of wet 2nd yr mt hood and 1 oz of wet 2nd magnum for 90 mins then chilled with an immersion chiller and transferred into a carboy and pitched danstar belle de saison yeast (I checked this 6 hrs after pitching and it was bubbling like crazy)

The American pale ale I did a hop stand with 4.3 ozs wet centennial, 2.5 ozs of wet cascades, 6.5 ozs of wet nuggets and 4.6 ozs of wet Columbus I did a 90 min hop stand with these as well and the. Cooled and transferred into a carboy and pitched with s05. This one was also pumping away after about 6 hrs. The hydro sample came in around 1.064 and both samples tasted good, lots of aroma and a smooth taste from the fresh hops. The apa was citrus, pine and a little dank but very very smooth.

The farmhouse beer was tasty, smooth, slight citrus, slight floral but not over bitter

I will let the farmhouse style go for about 3 months and I will check the apa here in 2 or 3 weeks. I will keep this updated

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409082898.780737.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1409082914.757724.jpg

More pics ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409082949.290970.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1409082958.373308.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409082980.254145.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1409083002.743993.jpg

Heady was helping me pick

Looks like a great brew day. Hope they turn out well. I just did the same but with 28 oz. aroma wet hops for an 5 gallon IPA since the wet to dry weight ratio I get is around 7:1. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409150709.056439.jpg

Nice! Hopefully I get more poundage next year, these guys are 2nd years that are still in pots, but the aroma that they give off is amazing.

Nice looking pics. After reading all the picking going on I think I should prob pick tomorrow. I checked yesterday and they had lots yellow goodness. I will try to get some nice looking pics like yours. Would look good on the brew room wall.

An update to this, I kegged the pale ale split today. The centennial and cascade come through in the finish, nice pine and grapefruit. Not any real discernible aroma like I anticipated, while it was fermenting all I could smell was hops so I wonder if they were pushed off during primary. Very smooth though.

I transferred the saison split into the secondary. Overall I am pleased how it came out, light and as good as any saison I have sampled. The only addition to this is, I decided since both of my kegs are full, why not sour this saison so I added dreggs from a bottle of alvinne cuvée Freddy which has both Brett and bugs. I am going to let this one go for a year or more and probably look at adding some fresh Maine raspberries next June or July. But the fruit selection could change to blueberries or blackberries.

Tapped into my keg of the pale ale last night, the wheat profile came through way more then I expected, very very smooth with really very little hop profile. I was expecting a little more from the fresh hops. But it still is very good, I would do this as a base again next harvest season but I would try and up the hop amounts.

Spoke too soon, after another week of aging, it is pretty amazing. Like a milder snpa, the step mashing really added to the mouthfeel. I always rush to taste and review my beers, just another example of how patience pays off.

Back