Hop Guardian

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tombstone0

Reaction score
I was looking at my hops a few days ago and found this guy standing guard over my hops.

mantis.jpg

He's been there for the last three days, yesterday he was on top of a leaf at the top of my hops, but I couldn't get a good picture because the breeze kept blowing my hops around just enough to make them blurry.

Hopefully, this doesn't mean I have lots of bugs on my hops, but I haven't seen very many.

thats pretty badass.

hes doing some regulating for you.

you had better pay the little dude before the end of the season. (with beer ideally) :)

Never seen one in my yard but have thought about getting some egg cases in past years. I think I will do so next year as my daughter will be of an age to really be interested or curious.

the hop Gods are looking after you. mantis's rock! a commemorative brew is appropriate.

That's pretty cool. I spotted my first ladybug today. The wife and I were eating dinner on our patio. (This is the first year I'm growing hops in the back yard plus my raised garden). She says, "I think you've introduced new bugs to our yard."

Between bites of my burger, I said, "Nah..." Then just kept on eating. Never realized how easy it is to lie when my mouth is full!

I ALWAYS transplant benificial insects to the hop yard. Even my 3 year old knows that if he see's a worm above grade that he is welcome to stay a while at the Hop Yard Hotel and the boy quickly see's that he is safely tucked in there.

Yeah, I'd be pretty excited about that bug on my hops. I'm considering getting some lady bugs or something. I saw some weird looking bug on my metal structure, that was pretty scary haha

Back