Hop filtration, options other than spiders for larger batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calgary222

Reaction score
So I had the worst brew day ever on Sunday, supply hose froze and cracked, sparge system clogged, number one chugger pump blew up, heat exchanger completely clogged, batch was saved (i hope) after 24hours of passive cooling in my fermenter. Anyway, my question is around hop management.

For equipment I have 30 gallon pots and have two spiders that I have used in the past, one a fine mesh and one more coarse. I find the fine one plugs up and the coarse doesn't really do much to hold the pellets in until it clogs up. I also have the blichmann hop blocker.

Lately In an effort to get more of the hops exposed to more of the wort, particularly the late addition hops, I have only used the Blichmann blocker, but that may have led to my exchanger jam up...

Procedurally, I let the whirlpool hose circulate for 20 minutes prior to flame out, at flame out give it an extra swirl with the paddle, turn off pump and let rest for 10 minutes and then pump out - the heat exchanger drops temp in one pass. I also clean in place and reverse flow the exchanger after each use.

The batch was an ESB with about 12 oz of pellet hops.

While cleaning my exchanger, I was pumping through various agents and then filtering the output across one of my wife's kitchen strainers and I started thinking that a filter in front of the exchanger might not be a bad idea... My only other thought is to just try a larger spider. Any thoughts on how to maximize contact while protecting the exchanger from clogging?

I can't speak to large volume batches, only my own experience processing 5-7 gallons at a time. I keep it simple. No filters of any kind. I just toss the hops in the boil and then pass the cooled wort through a large fine mesh strainer on its way to the fermentor. This removes hop particles and also does the aerating for me.

Thanks @rhys333, I am not worried about trub in the fermentor actually - I have a 27 gallon one with a sharp v, so that's all good. I need a hot side filter before the heat exchanger to keep it from clogging. Options could be adapting a home water filter or maybe a blichmann hop rocket or something - I just dont want to have to pull it apart during the brew for cleaning as it will be running for 20 minutes prior to flame out to sanitize and then for the full 20 gallons...
another option is this:

Hop Stopper

But I think that would be a bugger to clean and impossible to access at the bottom of the BK if it cloggs

Last edited:
Anyone tried something along the lines of a house filter like this,

1606248683702.png

And used something like a 100 micron filter like this:
1606248768198.png

I'd have to get a SS or high temp housing (most of the household ones I've seen are only rated to 140F, but the pump could draw down almost to the bottom for minimal waste.. Wish I had a tig welder.

OK, Ok, i will order the hop blocker.. thought I was on to something new and creative, but better to stick with tried and true -

thanks for the advice folks

Gotcha, yes, typo, I have the blocker, and you are right, not great. The stopper is 10%off now too for black friday...

Gotcha, yes, typo, I have the blocker, and you are right, not great. The stopper is 10%off now too for black friday...
I think it has a guarantee too. Try it with a hop bomb batch and with a low hopped beer and see if u like it. There is some waste but it lets you get most wort out and the wort only has finer particles in it. Obviously some small particles will get through but it should work great with plate chillers.

Yes, 1 year no questions asked.
Am am waiting to see which one i should get for the 30 gal - their size goes up to 30 and 30 plus... I am thinking larger is better if it will fit for more filtration and flow.
So much crud came out of that chiller yesterday, I am confident it was sanitary, because I haven't lost a batch in quite a while, but man, anything to keep from having to do that thorough of a flush would be good,

Yes, 1 year no questions asked.
Am am waiting to see which one i should get for the 30 gal - their size goes up to 30 and 30 plus... I am thinking larger is better if it will fit for more filtration and flow.
So much crud came out of that chiller yesterday, I am confident it was sanitary, because I haven't lost a batch in quite a while, but man, anything to keep from having to do that thorough of a flush would be good,
As big as will fit is best. Smaller size fits my 20G concord pot

I took advantage of the price break and easy return policy and ordered a HopStopper V2. I am ever hopeful, even after my dreadful experience with the HopStopper V1, that this will work well, though one must pay attention to the recommended operational restrictions...

Cheers!

Here’s my 2 cents on this subject. I use a large DudaDiesel plate chiller for cooling. I had the same plugging problem. I tried a Brewers Hardware strainer like this one (found it on Amazon for reference). The thing actually worked too well and would plug creating a messy and dangerous situation requiring breaking it apart and having to clean while trying to chill wort. Opening this thing up with hot wort spilling out was a disaster. I didn’t want to scrap using my plate chiller since I was brewing in TX with Luke warm tap water. I ended up switching to hanging hop basket. I have a 6” one (can find these on Amazon now) and a 10” one that’s like 20” tall so I can use for 10 gal or 5 gal batches. I also found a little ladder thing that lets me adjust how low in my BK this sits. I use a long SS brewers spoon and stir every 10 minutes or so during the boil. I think hop utilization is decent this way. I end up with almost no hop trub. Check out Arbor Fabricating online. They can make you whatever size if you need something custom like my huge 10” x 20” one I use in 20 gal BK. This basically solved my chiller plugging problem. Another upside is a have almost zero wort loss (wort left behind in BK due to Trub). E3B3F71F-B31A-487F-9D89-F10C61567D1A.png

^^^^ That one is similiar to the one I Have. 6" in diameter and 14" long. I've put about 12oz of hops in it while making a neipa and it's been a champ. Can't complain one bit.

I took advantage of the price break and easy return policy and ordered a HopStopper V2. I am ever hopeful, even after my dreadful experience with the HopStopper V1, that this will work well, though one must pay attention to the recommended operational restrictions...

Cheers!
I did too but I'm still waiting for mine. Shipping label was created and that's it so far.
Did you receive it yet?

Back