Hop Filter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daphatgrant

Reaction score
Do any of you folks use these? I'm considering getting one for my boil kettle. I will be using an immersion chiller so I don't have to worry about clogging up chillers.

Is it worth getting one of these?

4_by_10_300_micron_brew_filter_angle_three.jpg

I have that same exact filter and also one of these. (link...6x18)

I liked the bigger spider for my boil kettle. Seems to do a good job. The one you linked I bought thinking it would be good enough for my main BK (10 gallons), but I think it's too small for it. It has however earned its keep. When I'm vorlaufing, I use the smaller screen to filter out grain particles. It is also perfect for small batches when using my 5 gallon kettle.

So, yes it is worth it depending on the size of your kettle and/or size batches you're brewing.

I have a 20gal pot that I plan on making 10gal batches in. I'll have to get a bigger one to reach the wort, I'll have to measure my pot.

From what I've read, about 1/4 - 1/3 of the volume of your kettle works best. It should stay at least 1/2" off the bottom.

I use one on my setup with a plate chiller. It definitely helps to contain hop debris, helping to keep my plate chiller from clogging and less hop debris into the fermenter. I also use an inline filter from Brewers Hardware, but that's nothing I'd worry about unless you're going to use a plate chiller.

I don't think they're quite as necessary with immersion chillers. Are you just trying to keep some of the hop debris out of your fermenter? If so, there are a couple other things I'd recommend focusing on first, such as temperature control during fermentation.

Back