Hop Farm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brian4508

Reaction score
Thought I would start a thread about our new passion... What started as wanting to plant 5 or 6 hop plants at our new house back in early 2013 turned into a mini hop farm of 30 hills, which grew to 60, then 120 hills on our friends property – even before the first hill was planted. After having gone through the process of setting up the trellis, and growing the hops, we decided to make a ‘side’ business out of it at the end of 2013. From there, we formed Clark Hollow Hops (hopefully I can use our name on the boards…let me know mods!). We purchased 5 acres and decided to grow….

What came out of that decision was A LOT of hard work…working 12-16 hour days on the weekends since March, and putting in 3-4 hours after our paying jobs during the week. We designed, set up, and planted our own hop farm. We also installed a well and power, to set up an automated irrigation system so we can be at our day jobs and not worry ‘so much’ about the hop farm. Well, as of this past weekend, we now have over 2100 hills (over 1000 cascade, over 650 centennial, and over 200 each of Newport and Perle) on two of those five acres. One truly doesn’t understand the amount of work (and finances) needed to do this until it is actually done…which will actually never come!

The best part out of this passion, is that there are two families involved in this business, all with a unique talent to push this venture further! What once started as a general occasional friendship, has turned into a second family for all of us. No matter what dilemma we encountered, we always found a way to laugh about it, which actually helped us focus and solve the issue. While we take this business extremely seriously, We set one very specific ground rule before the company was formed….family first, friendship second, hop farm third. Little did we know that item #1 and #2 would actually be the same.

Would I do it again? Yes (we are already talking expansion)…but not because of the business…but because I would work twice as many hours and days on a project like this to keep the ‘family’ that this has created!

Oh…and a quick photo of 2/3rds of our newest 2 acre plot!

photo (2).jpg

Thought I would start a thread about our new passion... What started as wanting to plant 5 or 6 hop plants at our new house back in early 2013 turned into a mini hop farm of 30 hills, which grew to 60, then 120 hills on our friends property – even before the first hill was planted. After having gone through the process of setting up the trellis, and growing the hops, we decided to make a ‘side’ business out of it at the end of 2013. From there, we formed Clark Hollow Hops (hopefully I can use our name on the boards…let me know mods!). We purchased 5 acres and decided to grow….

What came out of that decision was A LOT of hard work…working 12-16 hour days on the weekends since March, and putting in 3-4 hours after our paying jobs during the week. We designed, set up, and planted our own hop farm. We also installed a well and power, to set up an automated irrigation system so we can be at our day jobs and not worry ‘so much’ about the hop farm. Well, as of this past weekend, we now have over 2100 hills (over 1000 cascade, over 650 centennial, and over 200 each of Newport and Perle) on two of those five acres. One truly doesn’t understand the amount of work (and finances) needed to do this until it is actually done…which will actually never come!

The best part out of this passion, is that there are two families involved in this business, all with a unique talent to push this venture further! What once started as a general occasional friendship, has turned into a second family for all of us. No matter what dilemma we encountered, we always found a way to laugh about it, which actually helped us focus and solve the issue. While we take this business extremely seriously, We set one very specific ground rule before the company was formed….family first, friendship second, hop farm third. Little did we know that item #1 and #2 would actually be the same.

Would I do it again? Yes (we are already talking expansion)…but not because of the business…but because I would work twice as many hours and days on a project like this to keep the ‘family’ that this has created!

Oh…and a quick photo of 2/3rds of our newest 2 acre plot!

For sure you have yourself a picking machine of some type? Looks great by the way.:mug:

Yes, we are looking at a few different harvesters. Our decision is going to be based on how big we want to grow...a hard thing to for see

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

For sure you have yourself a picking machine of some type? Looks great by the way.:mug:

That's what children are for!

Just make sure to use your own children so when they whine about working for free, you can say, "I'm paying you back with the lesson of hard work," and not have to deal with those silly child labor laws.

Meanwhile, our second year plants are racing to the top!ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402396387.313387.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1402396406.774611.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1402396422.812817.jpg

We've been busy on the farm weeding and watching for pest. Luckily we've only had to deal with the weeds. Here are some updated pictures of our farm! Second year and first year farms. The first year may not look like much, but the root structure growth is our goal this year and it has been unbelievable!ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406542394.762460.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1406542427.853195.jpg. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406542361.132345.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1406542306.758913.jpg

Are there any left?

Just found this. For Bob and the OP, there are but a lot are coming from Poland where they sat in flood waters...or so goes the story. You are better off if you can find one that's here in the US being sold by someone who has already given up on the dream.

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Back