Hop Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could always give it a try. It'd certainly save some money, at least for me where all hops are $4/oz at my LHBS. Like the instructions say though, don't use it for more than 50% of bittering.

The only exposure I've had to a bittering extract was in an "off-flavor" seminar. They used it to set precise IBU levels, so we could try to sort them out. All but one person got the order wrong. I found the bittering extremely harsh, but that might have been because the base beer (Coors Light) had very low IBUs. That meant almost all of the bittering came from the extract.

I have used a hop oil concentrate (hop helper) to fluff up an old IPA Brut. Not as good as re-dryhopping, but you can do it by the pint.

I was one of the lucky recipients of the HOP SHOT from Northern Brewer. It was great, 5mils in a syringe type of injector. said it was about 50 IBU's in a normal 60 min boil. Stout turned out DELICIOUS. KEG was floated in about 3 weeks. It was nice and easy to use, no messy trub like the usual brew session.

I got some hop extract from the net several years ago.

They didn't look like any of the two examples/links in this thread.

I used it in several brews that were underhopped. They corrected my brews wonderfully. Just add a little at a time and test/sample after a couple minutes of blending, etc.

Back