Hop Extract & 30 Minute Boils

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultravista

Reaction score
Does hop extract require a long boil time to extract bittering? I am building a light bodied IPA with a target boil time of 30 minutes. The plan is to add hop extract at the beginning of the boil.

Is 30 minutes sufficient for bittering? Will 30 minutes produce the same bittering level as 60 or 90 minutes?

i think its pretty much the same as using hops without the vegetal matter.. 1ml of hop extract for 60 mins gives you 10 ibu's

Does hop extract require a long boil time to extract bittering? I am building a light bodied IPA with a target boil time of 30 minutes. The plan is to add hop extract at the beginning of the boil.

Is 30 minutes sufficient for bittering? Will 30 minutes produce the same bittering level as 60 or 90 minutes?

I use CTZ hop extracts from Yakima Valley regularly. I have added the extract in at 60, let it work in to the wort for just a minute or two, and it tastes like it is fully bittered right away. I think the CO2 extraction process has the bittering ready to go w/o a long boil.

BUT...let me add this. I did a quick check with BeerSmith using CO2 extracts at 61 AA%. I did 60 min w/ 5ml and got 32.5 IBU. I reduced the boil time to 30 min and it dropped the IBU down to 25. So there is some difference apparently.

CO2 hop extract is just like using whole or pellet hops - it's not pre-isomerized, so it needs the same boil time.
Iso-extract hops are pre-isomerized (duh) so they just need to be dissolved in the wort to take full effect...

Cheers!

Back