Hop choices tonight?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaGoalie

Reaction score
Looking for your opinion on hops for a hazy IPA.

I start heating strike water in 45 minutes, but I won't be adding hops until whirlpool after boil. So, I've got about 3 hours or so to decide.

I am set on Bru-1 and Cashmere. I'm actually okay with just those two, but feeling like a third player would add some fun. Here are my choices for hop #3:

Vista
El Dorado
Amarillo
Cascade
Strata

This is a rare time in American history when your opinion is actually wanted! :)

What say you???

TIA...happy brewing.

Last edited:
Used to be you posted a thread like this and had 10-15 responses in the first hour....
Just not the same.

I went with Cashmere, Bru-1, and Sabro.

3 gallon batch. All grain.

Whirlpool:
1.5 oz Bru-1
1.5 oz Cashmere
1.0 oz Sabro

Dry hop:
1 oz of all three
My hazy dry hops happen on day 2.5 of primary fermentation.
30 minute boil and a 5 day fermentation. Lutra yeast.

Drinking fresh, hoppy as hell beer after 6 days. You've come a long way baby.

6 days? Maybe, but I don't favor the hazies - I like my beer clear. Not judging! - just my preference.

I assume people like their hazies to be juicy/fruity, so I'd definitely go with a mix of hops. Mosaic would be a good choice, but not on your list. I would have gone with El Dorado and Amarillo and Cascade, but mainly because I am not familiar with the others.

The downside of maintaining lots of hops in the freezer is they're degrading by the day, so one really needs a fairly high throughput operation to get the best out of them and not lose that to time.

As for the OP, I'd have gone with Amarillo, El Dorado and Strata, fwiw...

Cheers!

1661689316005.png

[0] https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/understanding-the-importance-of-the-hop-storage-index

[1] maybe a different storage model is needed for hazy hop oils.

[2] maybe the new hop oil products offer a solution to properly storing hazy hop oils.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back