Hop Candy recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B-

I had a project in Santa Clara on Thursday, so I stopped by More Beer for some candy...Cascade only...:(

I'm really enjoying them.

However, they're a bit big. I've ended up whacking them in half to make them more "manageable".

Any chance of a sampler pack? Four or five each of a handful of hops would be great!

Sorachi ace might be nice.

POJO, Never Bullion or BG, but Chinook was my first and it didn't make too good of a candy?

ianw58, Thanks for trying but remember, you're still a rookie. Most of the veterans want bigger pieces, ha. Whacking is the best I can offer at this point. In all honesty, I only did about 3000 pounds last year and my candy maker would have to retool from that size to a smaller die for mine which would cost about $50,000 to accomplish. I'd rather continue to save up for the hot air balloon and maybe provide a nifty whacking tool/bottle-opener combo until the smaller pieces are within reach.

I wish I had the time and resources to do a mixed bag, but I'm having a hard time inventorying the original 3 varieties and am trying to work with a few customers to possibly accomplish this. Presently, the only sample/variety packs are available here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CHUFHP4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20. StrangeBrew sells a 4-ounce bag with 7 pieces of each of the original three varieties and BeerLoved sells three bags (one of each variety) for a little bit of a discount. Don't get confused like the one guy who submitted the review did. Thanks again for trying~

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh well, B.

I'm not a hophead by any means, but these are really good.

Now, I need done Horlick's tablets to see if the combo makes beer...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Will you be selling a sample pack like the pic above? BTW everybody here at Candi Syrup, Inc. loves your products! You guys are doing a fantastic job.

These should be available through a seller on Amazon in a week or so. Due to some miscommunication between myself and the candyman, the Apollo and Zeus are almost indistinguishable (color-wise) and I apologize for that. The flavors of the two are very very different though with the Apollo giving me a 'melon' character and the Zeus tasting pretty much as it does when used late in a brew.

candy MixedBag .jpg

Sounds like a project I will have to try. A local brewer gave me about 15 pounds of older hops the other day, and I was wondering what to do with them.

A couple new varieties are making their way out to the public. Citra is pretty well known but the Target has a really cool spice/clove/wood/cedar thing going on, similar to rootbeer? FYI~

Target Citra.jpg

Oh wow... I actually make home-made buttermints. Now I want to try a hop-flavoured version.

:D

But, I will have to try this hard-candy first. I have some Columbus hops leftover from my last brew, I bet I can get some of my younger buddies to think I made candy using hops' cousin. When I opened the packet, that's all I could think of - how much the Columbus smelled like that other greenery.

i tried it a couple times, i could never get the candy to be "hard" candy, came out as a gooey texture both times
109.gif
30.gif

i tried it a couple times, i could never get the candy to be "hard" candy, came out as a gooey texture both times
109.gif
30.gif

As mentioned earlier in this thread, you have to cook it beyond the "soft ball" stage. Get a candy thermometer and check out some hard candy recipes for reference.

*thumbsup*

As mentioned earlier in this thread, you have to cook it beyond the "soft ball" stage. Get a candy thermometer and check out some hard candy recipes for reference.

*thumbsup*

Good call! Lots of quality confection sources of information also suggest that making hard candy during times of high humidity will increase the chance of tackiness, very very true!

I'm sure many of us know there are commercial hop flavored candy available, but I think we can come up with a recipe to make our own. I tried to make one recently, that came out nice. It wasn't a hop bomb like the commercial counterpart, but I think its a good start to build upon. Hoping there are others out there that would like to run with the idea, and we can come up with a great recipe.

Here is what I did, based on this standard hard candy recipe

1.75 C Sugar
.75 C light corn syrup
.5 C water
Green food coloring
Hops of your choosing.

I used a French press, and steeped .5oz of cascade in 1 cup of 180 degree water for about 15 minutes.

In a medium saucepan, stir together the white sugar, corn syrup, and water. Cook, stirring, over medium heat until sugar dissolves, then bring to a boil. Without stirring, heat to 300 to 310 degrees F (149 to 154 degrees C), or until a small amount of syrup dropped into cold water forms hard, brittle threads.

Remove from heat and stir in the hop water (SLOWLY) and food coloring. I ended up with it being too watery, so I cooked it down more, so it was thicker. I poured it onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, and dust the top with confectioners' sugar. Let cool, and break into pieces. Store in an airtight container.

Please feel free to try and modify this recipe, and post your thoughts!

Any successes yet, it's almost Halloween!

Back