Hop Bursting with Galena

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thadeus_d3

Reaction score
I have a few pounds of Galena hops that I've been sitting on for a few years. I'd like to use them soon and thought about creating an IPA using them and maybe Columbus. I would also like to hop burst to use them up and get a ton of flavor and aroma. What are your thoughts on the Galena/Columbus combination and hop bursting? Have any of you tried this and feel like sharing the recipe?

I just stumbled across a Diamond Knot IPA clone that uses both of these hops. Guess I'll be making that!

I went in a slightly different direction and came up with this recipe. I just kegged it this past weekend and the uncarbed samples were excellent. It was so tasty that I may post it in the recipes section.

Galena & Columbus IPA
Method: All Grain
Style: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 10 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 11.86 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.047 (recipe based estimate)
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)
Original Gravity: 1.056 Final Gravity: 1.011 ABV (standard): 5.91% IBU (tinseth): 52.67 SRM (morey): 8.89

Fermentables
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
20 lb United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale 38 3.75 95.2%
1 lb American - Caramel / Crystal 60L 34 60 4.8%
21 lb Total

Hops
Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU
1.5 oz Galena Pellet 13 Boil 60 min 38.12
1 oz Columbus Pellet 15 Boil 15 min 14.55
1.5 oz Galena Pellet 13 Boil 0 min
2 oz Columbus Pellet 15 Dry Hop 7 days

Hops Summary
Amount Variety Type AA
3 oz Columbus Pellet 15
3 oz Galena Pellet 13

Yeast
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Attenuation (avg):
81%
Flocculation:
Medium
Optimum Temp:
54 - 77 °F
Starter:
No

It turned out great. It's more of a "session IPA" which is what I was going for. Just malty enough with a nice pine/citrus balance. I'll be making it again.

Latest posts

Back